Posted On: December 9, 2016
Media Organization: BBC Worldwide Americas
BBC Worldwide North America is the main commercial arm and wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) operating in the U.S. and Canada. The company exists to maximize the value of the BBC’s assets for the benefit of the UK license payer and invests in public service programing in return for rights. The company operates four businesses in the territory – linear and digital content sales and co-productions, consumer products, BBC.com, and two production divisions – BBC Worldwide Productions, responsible for the smash hit Dancing with the Stars and the U.S. version of Top Gear; and Adjacent Productions, producers of Da Vinci’s Demons, Life Below Zero, and Ladies of London, among others. The company also owns a 50.1% share in cable channel BBC AMERICA through a joint venture with AMC Networks.
Help with and contribute to day-to-day tasks of Capital’s production — specifically creating bespoke graphics, data visualizations and illustrations to tell visual stories for the website and for use on social media.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with part-time data researcher to create data visualizations to run on BBC Capital and its social accounts.
2. Contribute to Capital’s social media efforts
3. Pitch data-rich ideas for the researcher to investigate and carry out the illustration/visualization or story slideshows for Capital
4. Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
1. Experience with data visualization, illustration and, preferably some journalism or reporting (can be in school)
2. Experience using the Adobe Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator
3. Interest in career/spending/global expat-related topics
4. Experience using or ability to quickly learn graphic production
5. Ability to take direction well, but also work independently
6. Reliable and able to meet deadlines
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
8. Eligible for College credit
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to BBCWA.InternRequests@bbc.com, subject line “BBC Spring 2017 Internship, (Name of Internship Position).” In your cover letter, please specify which department(s) you are applying for, verify if you are eligible for college/academic credit and advise the days you are available to work.
PLEASE NOTE: Students must be able to receive academic credit for the unpaid internships.
BBC Worldwide Americas offers NYC students a monthly TransitChek card of $116.50 to assist with travel costs. (International students will need CPT.)