Posted On: April 21, 2017
Media Organization: United Nations
This post is located in the Group Programmes Unit, Visitors Services Section, Outreach Division, DPI. The incumbent will report to the Associate Public Information Officer and the Chief of Unit. The Visitors Services Section provides information about the work of the United Nations to the general public, as well as to specialized audiences, including students at all levels and representatives of civil society, among others. This is a temporary position to assist with the organization of the 2017 Reham Al Farra (RAF) Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme. This annual Programme, organized by DPI, brings journalists from developing countries to UNHQ to enhance their understanding of the work of the United Nations. The position is available for 5 months effective immediately, with no possibility of extension.
PUBLIC INFORMATION ASSISTANT (Temporary Job Opening), G5 -- United Nations Department of Public Information
Deadline: 26 April 2017
Job description and application: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=77755
This is a temporary position to assist with the organization of the 2017 Reham Al Farra (RAF) Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme. This annual Programme, organized by DPI, brings journalists from developing countries to UNHQ to enhance their understanding of the work of the United Nations.
Under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- liaising with UN offices and departments, non-UN organizations and vendors
- scheduling briefings and field visits
- coordinating necessary services to ensure a smooth-running programme
- responding to queries from guest speakers and fellows
- accompanying fellows on visits to UN offices and media outlets
- providing general office support, including processing and drafting correspondence, maintaining files/records, monitoring timeline and deadlines and conducting internet research on thematic issues
- handling a variety of administrative tasks, including preparing, monitoring and processing requisitions, service contracts and payment vouchers; and coordinating travel arrangements, travel authorizations and special assignments
- assisting the programme coordinator with the selection of fellows
- updating the programme website (https://outreach.un.org/raf) and associated social media
- performing other duties as assigned.
Good knowledge of the UN system and activities; ability to draft memos and letters; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning & Organizing:
Excellent organization skills required. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High School diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental course work / training in international relations, journalism, communications or related field is desirable.
A minimum of five years of experience in public communication, international broadcasting or related area. Experience in supporting programmes or special events is required. Experience in writing for websites and social media is desirable. Administrative experience in a large organization is an asset.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.