Posted On: June 26, 2017
Media Organization: Engineering News-Record
Engineering News-Record, a highly respected journalistic news source for the infrastructure development and construction industry. We have a weekly print magazine with about 73,000 subscribers and a very active online presence.
National Construction Economics Editor. Applicants should be educated in economics and journalism. Newsroom experience is required. Construction industry knowledge is a definite plus. This is a job for a seasoned journalist.
Join the award-winning editorial team of Engineering News-Record, the most trusted source of news, analysis, commentary and data in the construction industry. As ENR’s economics editor you will lead our construction cost analysis operation. ENR’s frequent and ongoing construction cost reporting provides business-critical information to its 62,000 paying subscribers and online audience, which averages 230,000 unique visitors a month. Help ENR’s news team give our readers quick insight into the economics questions of the day, such as:
- Will protectionist tariffs play havoc with cost estimates?
- Will workforce shortages drive up the cost of infrastructure?
- Will bad weather in the Pacific send the price of steel into the stratosphere?
To find the answers, you will regularly interact with many of the smartest people in architecture, engineering, construction and the industry supply chains and work side-by-side with staff editors and freelance journalists who are experts in the construction industry, worldwide. ENR is the leading publication in the industry and has delivered well written, authoritative, business-critical content for our readers for 100 years. You can help keep ENR on top.
Job Description: ENR Construction Economics Editor
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills for print and digital publication
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree and/or five years of experience in journalism, business or economics writing, including online journalism using a content management system
- Strong knowledge of economics, economic analysis, economic trends
- Ability to multi-task, and work successfully and accurately under deadline pressure
- Familiarity with Excel and data analysis programs
- Work location in the New York City metro area. Candidate must be able to commute to ENR offices in the Empire State Building
- Knowledge of, or background in construction, labor markets, materials or commodities is desirable
- Familiarity with TMI (IBM Cognos), InCopy, and online content publishing systems is a plus
- Coordinate creation of ENR’s construction economics and market trends content—one of the key reasons readers subscribe to the brand.
- Contribute economics angles to breaking news stories proactively.
- Create, produce and deploy quality, original editorial content in print and on multiple digital platforms for coverage of economic and market trends, and report on trends in construction costs, finance, accounting and estimating (including estimating technology.)
- Collaborate with the art, production and brand team on the look, feel and reader experience with construction economics products in all of our presentation media.
- Produce error-free, stimulating and thought provoking content for ENR’s range of products. Edit submitted content.
- Manage freelance team regularly producing cost reporting on a market basket of 60-plus construction matarials in 20 cities. Work with ENR’s TM1 (IBM Cognos) data analysis program, programmer and support.
- Update monthly ENR’s 100-year-old construction cost index and building cost index
- Manage the cost reporting budget for programmers, price reporters and freelancers.
- Continually work with the IT department to ensure the construction cost database is secure and our data management and analysis platform is always the best available to meet our needs.
- Work with circulation team to enhance its ability to sell subscriptions to ENR based on our cost data.
- Attend and cover relevant industry events, including trade shows and conferences.
- Make presentations, organize and moderate editorial webinars and participate in conference panels as a subject matter expert representing ENR.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Produce four cost reports and one construction market forecast print packages per year.
- Produce weekly Construction Economics print and/or web pages.
- Contribute breaking news or trends analysis stories about economic developments
- Plan, assign and execute issue content, secure photography and work with art department staff on charts and tables.
- Use AP Style with ENR-appropriate customizations, and proofread pages, including headlines, captions, folio and masthead.
- Provide direction to Online Support Coordinator for posting economics content and other stories. Supply tagging and key phrases for story postings; re‐write print headlines for website SEO. Supply multi-media content.
- Monitor website to evaluate content, respond to comments and review reader-engagement statistics.
- Work with the web team to upgrade the presentation of construction cost information on ENR.com and to make cost data accessible in new ways.
- Work with business team to find new ways to monetize ENR’s cost data.
Multimedia and Events
- Contribute to editorial multi-media efforts such as video and podcasts.
- Propose, organize and moderate ENR webinars.
- Contribute to live event planning and production. Moderate panels at live events.
Please start by responding to the listing on Media Bistro: