Posted On: July 25, 2017
Media Organization: OPB
Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB), one of the leading public media organizations in the U.S., delivers in-depth content on news, the arts, culture, history and the environment. We reach more than 1.5 million people across the Northwest each week through television, radio, online, and via mobile and social platforms.
We create content and programming featuring the people, places, and issues of importance to the Northwest – stories that simply are not told elsewhere. OPB continues to meet the future with a vision that serves our audience and informs public media professionals across the country.
OPB’s mission statement: Giving voice to the community. Connecting Oregon and its neighbors. Illuminating a wider world.
Work with executive producer, on-air host and production team to produce the daily news/discussion program Think Out Loud on OPB Radio and opb.org. Generate show ideas. Produce three to five radio segments per week (pitch ideas, prepare research, book and pre-interview guests, write corresponding web and social media posts, outline show flow and direct the live program). Create news stories for broadcast and digital out of show content. Assist with preparation and production of live programming in studio and on location.
Most work is done in office, studio or other indoor location. The work may require travel to remote locations, working evening, weekends and/or starting the work day early, and possibly working in inclement weather. Moving equipment up to 20 pounds is sometimes required. Extended periods of sitting or standing may be necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One year of experience in journalism, broadcast or online production.
- Experience writing and communicating online (website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in a professional capacity.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with all team members.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and take direction.
- Commitment to read widely and interact with community in order to research subject matter for the program.
- Knowledge of public media environment, and online news and community developments.
- Demonstrated ability to uphold high ethical standards for journalism.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism.
- Passion for news and knowledge of current events from following the news daily.
- Experience editing on Adobe Audition, Dalet, ProTools or similar broadcast digital audio software.
Please send an email or letter of interest requesting the instructions on how to apply for this position (Producer) to firstname.lastname@example.org or OPB Human Resources, 7140 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97219. Instructions on how to apply will be sent within 24 hours of receiving the letter of interest Monday through Friday. If a letter of interest is sent over the weekend or a holiday, application instructions will be sent by the end of the next business day.
All application materials are due by: Aug. 18, 2017, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).