Posted On: August 9, 2017
Media Organization: Administration for Children’s Services
The Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) protects and promotes safety and well-being of New York City’s children and families by providing child welfare, juvenile justice, and early care and education services.
ACS seeks an outstanding candidate for the position of Associate Commissioner for the Office of Communications. Reporting to the Commissioner, the selected candidate will manage the Office and will be responsible for devising, implementing and executing a strategic communications vision for the agency. This role will have the primary responsibility for managing the communications opportunities and risks of the agency both internally and externally, and for communicating to employees, the press, traditional and social media, the child welfare and juvenile justice advocacy communities and the public. In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Associate Commissioner will oversee the development of major public awareness campaigns and partner with other not-for-profit sector contract agencies and community organizations to highlight and advance the goals of the agency and the City of New York. The candidate will:
• Oversee the administration in the Office of Communications
• Manage the implementation of citywide public service campaigns for issues such as child safety, foster parent recruitment, recruitment of frontline agency staff, among others
• Supervise the development and pitching of positive stories to the press
• Oversee the response to press inquiries on complex issues and critical incidents
• Coordinate ACS’ communications with the Mayor’s Press Office and other City agencies to ensure continuity of messaging
• Direct the preparation of speeches for the Commissioner and instruct senior staff on public speaking techniques
• Arrange large-scale events to highlight issues such as adoption, foster care, child abuse prevention and mentoring
• Oversee ACS’ content on internal intranet and external internet sites, updating news stories and ensuring content is up to date
• Serve as a member of ACS’ Senior Management Committee, keeping them abreast of media pulse on child welfare issues
• Assign and edit all press releases and written materials to press and internal staff
• Coordinate internal communications including monthly staff newsletter, weekly e-bulletins, etc.
• Evaluate direct reports and subordinate managers to assess performance in their respective areas.
A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus five (5) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, including two (2) years in an administrative, supervisory or consultative capacity.
The preferred candidate will possess a graduate degree from an accredited institution in English, journalism, or public relations; experience working in media/TV and with non-profit/government communications. In addition, ideal candidates will have experience in marketing, strong executive and collaborative leadership style, strong negotiating skills; familiarity with government and the systems used throughout the City of New York. Excellent communication skills and commitment to customer service, innovation and the initiative to make large public systems function effectively is preferred.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County.
Submit resume with cover letter to: email@example.com