Posted On: November 14, 2017
Media Organization: Physicians for Human Rights
For nearly 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations.
A Nobel Peace Prize co-laureate, PHR is a global organization founded on the idea that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to stop human rights violations. PHR’s investigations and expertise are used to advocate for the protection of persecuted health workers and medical facilities under attack, prevent torture, document mass atrocities, and hold those who violate human rights accountable.
PHR is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights. Our headquarters are located in New York City, and we maintain offices in Washington, DC and in Boston.
This position is located in our New York City office, and reports to the director of communications.
The media relations manager spearheads the innovative strategy that brings PHR's voice and story to new audiences. The media relations manager creates media communications plans, responds to media inquiries, proactively reaches out to journalists, develops messaging, and writes/edits communications for multiple communications platforms, including social media. This position cultivates and maintains relationships with the media, conducts media training, and regularly updates PHR’s media contact lists. The media relations manager must be a media-savvy, team-oriented professional with solid writing, relationship building, and pitching skills.
• Develop and manage national and international media relationships and lead outreach efforts to support PHR’s messaging and publications
• Provide coaching and interview prep to empower PHR staff, board members, and other experts to confidently represent PHR
• Integrate media relations efforts into a larger communications strategy to develop brand awareness of PHR, its staff, and other experts
• Respond promptly to incoming media inquiries
• Write, edit, and package persuasive and newsworthy content about PHR that can be easily repurposed by you or others into blog posts, tweets, comments, traditional press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and talking points
• Take the lead on expanding PHR’s content types including video, audio, and graphic products.
• Lead cross-functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships, and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of PHR’s work
• Maintain and utilize Meltwater media clip service to monitor daily news coverage and propose responses, releases, interviews, or other media tactics based on that coverage
• Track media mentions of PHR and its experts
• Write, edit, and issue press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials
• Maintain and build media lists based on relevant topics and geographic areas, as well as medium-specific lists for print, digital, TV, and radio contacts
• Serve as lead rapid responder on breaking news and media opportunities
• Manage social media strategy (currently Facebook and Twitter accounts)
• Supervise the work of communications associate on daily social media posts
• Compile and submit monthly internal media reports
• Other duties as assigned by the director of communications
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 5-7 years’ experience in media relations and communications
• Genuine excitement about bringing PHR’s stories to new audiences
• Excellent written and communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch, and secure feature coverage in top-tier media
• A creative thinker who is able to navigate complexity to get to the heart of and develop a great story
• Familiarity with Meltwater, Cision, or comparable media database
• Demonstrated understanding of social media best practices
• Demonstrated project management experience
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle high-pressure situations and competing media issues
This is a full-time position located in New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation. Send resume and cover letter to Cristina Fahrbach-Connors (firstname.lastname@example.org)