Posted On: November 21, 2017
Media Organization: Marketplace
Marketplace is a public radio show produced and distributed by American Public Media. It currently broadcasts on 800 public radio stations nationwide and is heard by more than 14 million weekly listeners. The Marketplace portfolio includes Marketplace, Marketplace Morning Report, Marketplace Weekend and Marketplace Tech. Together they deliver 4.2 million podcast downloads every month. Marketplace is noted for its timely, relevant and accessible coverage of business and the economy. It raises the economic intelligence in the United States through the unorthodox story, the casual conversation and the unexpected angle on the news.
Marketplace is looking for a news assistant to work with its China correspondent based in Shanghai.
The ideal applicant will have exceptional organizational skills and an eye for what Marketplace’s audience will be interested in.
The role involves:
· Gathering news from Chinese websites, social media and newspapers on a daily basis
· Pitching original stories, conduct research, translate and arrange interviews
· Helping with administrative work such as paying bills for the Shanghai bureau and filling claims
· Some travel within China
The ideal candidate should be:
· Fluent Mandarin speaker with good spoken English
· Willing to learn technical skills for radio
· Exceptionally organized
· Enthusiastic about helping American audiences understand China’s economy
Nice to have:
· Have a background in journalism or economic research
· Understanding in finance and economics
Send a cover letter (no more than one page) and resume (no more than two pages) to Jennifer Pak (firstname.lastname@example.org)