Posted On: December 4, 2017
Media Organization: UNITE HERE Local 25
UNITE HERE Local 25 is a progressive labor union which represents over 7,200 politically active hotel and casino workers in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region.
Local 25 is currently seeking applications for a Strategic Research and Communications Officer. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented and highly motivated professional who would like to play a large role in promoting the collective empowerment of hospitality workers, and in strengthening the labor movement in the D.C. metro region.
The Strategic Research and Communications Officer will play two critical roles: providing strategic research to union officials, and coordinating external communications for the union. They will also provide assistance to the Organizing and Political departments in managing internal communications.
Successful candidates need not necessarily demonstrate experience in both research and communications, but must show a solid record of performance in one of the fields, and strong professional promise in the other.
Duties and responsibilities
Strategic research (60%)
• Monitor and analyze industry and real estate data in order to identify opportunities for growth.
• Monitor and analyze legislative and regulatory proposals that have the potential to impact hotel workers in the D.C. metro region.
• Gather information from the press, government agencies, courts, employers, workers and other sources, proactively cultivating new sources of information as necessary.
• Provide timely and accurate analysis on topics of strategic importance to the union, preparing position statements, internal memoranda, talking points, policy papers, presentations, and other materials as appropriate to present such analysis.
• Draft policy and regulatory proposals that will empower and improve the lives of hotel workers.
• Develop and implement new strategies for growth.
Strategic communications (40%)
• Develop messaging and draft and edit content for external communications including websites, social media, newsletters, press releases, op-eds, blog posts, speeches, testimony, and other content.
• Monitor local media sources including print media, radio, television, online, and social media and develop a strong understanding of the D.C. area media market.
• Cultivate positive relationships with reporters, editors, and policy organizations.
• Pitch stories and secure media coverage of union activities and issues; place op-eds, blog posts, and other materials.
• Field media requests efficiently.
• Coordinate the execution and maintenance of the union’s communications strategy.
Experience and qualifications
Required minimum qualifications
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
• Post-graduate degree (bachelor’s or higher), preferably in public policy, urban planning, economics, journalism, communications, political science, or a related field.
• Minimum of one year experience working in research, communications, or organizing with a labor union, state or local agency, non-profit, or progressive candidate or elected official or as a professional journalist with a non-partisan or progressive media organization
• Exceptional analytical and written communication skills.
• The ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably and build relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Strong understanding of politics.
• Resourcefulness and talent for problem-solving.
• High ability to learn new skills and areas of knowledge quickly.
• Strong personal and professional integrity.
Possession of any of the following qualifications is beneficial but not required:
• Experience in the labor movement.
• Master’s degree in a related field.
• Understanding of zoning, urban real estate development, or urban politics.
• Advanced policy analysis skills. Ability to use analytical software for policy analysis including GIS or statistical analysis software.
• Graphics and video editing skills, including the use of video, audio, graphics, or photographic editing software.
• Fluency in Spanish.
• Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, hospitality, or other service industries.
Applicants must include a resume, cover letter, and at least one additional writing sample. Applicants may optionally include a brief portfolio in PDF format demonstrating past work, provided that the total application may not exceed fifteen pages.
The cover letter, resume, references and additional materials should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will close on January 15, 2018 at 3:00 PM EST.
UNITE HERE Local 25 is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender expression, religious affiliation or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. AmeriCorps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. People of color and women are strongly urged to apply.