Posted On: March 8, 2018
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: Consumer Reports
Non-profit organization/publisher with mission to create a fairer, safer and healthier world.
Forget spending your summer internship making coffee runs for your boss--our interns work with our amazing staff to help consumers make smarter choices--whether it's the big stuff (student loan debt anyone?) or everyday choices at the supermarket. Spend the summer developing skills that will serve your career goals while engaging in work that promotes facts, science, and smart public policy.
As a Consumer Reports intern, you'll stand with us as we stand alongside consumers. You'll work with us as we empower consumers with the knowledge they need to make free, informed, confident choices in the face of a complex marketplace. It's important work and it's been our thing for more than 80 years.
To get this work done, we are an independent (we take no ads!), nonprofit, social enterprise dedicated to celebrating and supporting our driven and diverse team. We look forward to having you join us in our mission to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world for all consumers.
The Fine Print:
• Internships are available to current full-time undergraduate students entering their junior or senior year or graduate students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
• The program runs from June 5, 2017 through August 18, 2017, with some flexibility to accommodate school schedules
• This is a paid internship, based on an hourly rate
• Internships are on-premises; we can not consider requests for remote positions
• We cannot pay any relocation or housing allowance
• Please specify in your application if you are seeking, and your school offers, academic credit for internships. Include the contact information for your academic Institution representative
• Internships are filled on a rolling basis. It is suggested that you apply as soon as possible
• Consumer Reports interns are considered trainees under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1973
• A fully-equipped gym with classes and wellness programs
• A subsidized café, open for breakfast and lunch with options ranging from grain bowls to bacon cheeseburgers
• A half-basketball court for after work pick-up games
• We provide, on a first-come, first serve basis, free shuttle service from locations on West 96th Street (Manhattan), 242nd Street (Bronx) and the Hastings-on-Hudson train station
How you'll be helping to make a difference:
• Work collaboratively with the video team throughout the creative process: from conceptualizing story ideas to rendering the final edit for CR's digital media and our nationally syndicated TV news stories (generating professional samples you can add to your portfolio)
• Hone your skills in all technical aspects of video production—filming, editing, producing, audio, lighting and teleprompter
• Get hands-on by assisting with TV studio productions & equipment distribution
• Come away knowing how a 15-second video can have as much impact as a 15-minute video, even when your video is about watching paint dry
• Visual & Media Arts/Communication/Journalism major with a Video Production or TV/Film concentration
• Understanding of the news process and how to turn ideas into ideation
• Comfortable with Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and Apple Operating System
• Experience with graphics programs like Adobe Effects & Illustrator
• Camera and script-writing experience? A plus!
• There's link in your resume to your work, web site, or reel