Posted On: September 15, 2010
Media Organization:New York Public Radio
New York Public Radio is New York's premier public radio franchise, comprising WNYC FM, WNYC AM, and WQXR, as well as www.wnyc.org and www.wqxr.org. As America's most listened-to AM/FM news and talk public radio stations, reaching 1.1 million listeners every week, WNYC extends New York City's cultural riches to the entire country on-air and online, and presents the best national offerings from networks National Public Radio, Public Radio International, American Public Media, and the British Broadcasting Company. WNYC 93.9 FM broadcasts a wide range of daily news, talk, cultural and music programming, while WNYC AM 820 maintains a stronger focus on breaking news and international news reporting. Classical 105.9 WQXR is New York City's sole 24-hour classical music station, presenting new and landmark classical recordings as well as live concerts from the Metropolitan Opera, the New York Philharmonic, among other New York City venues, immersing listeners in the city's rich musical life. In addition to its audio content, WNYC produces content for live, radio and web audiences from The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space, the station's street-level multipurpose, multiplatform broadcast studio and performance space. For more information about WNYC, visit www.wnyc.org.
New York Public Radio seeks an Assistant Producer for On the Media, a weekly program from WNYC and NPR that examines the interplay between media and society.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist the producers and hosts in all aspects of program production
• Generate and research show topics and suggesting guests; distill research materials
• Assist with pre-interview and booking of potential guests
• Assist with writing background materials for host and with editing material for broadcast
• Provide administrative support for show staff including bill payment, booking studios, maintaining archives, and other related duties as assigned
• Assist with editing and preparing audio for broadcast
• Assist during tapings and digital audio production for the show
• Assist with conducting assigned internal and external correspondence for the show
• Help keep on-air content up to date on multiple platforms
• Comply with all New York Public Radio and show policies and guidelines
• This position requires use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment; ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods
• Work on other special projects and duties as assigned
• One year minimum journalism, print and/or broadcast experience required
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required
• Familiarity with journalism issues and radio production required
• Sound organizational skills, with great attention to detail required
• Extensive research skills required
• Ability to meet objectives under deadline pressure required
• Ability to work in a group environment, and take direction required
• Requires the intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with other programming staff, executives at NYPR, colleagues, industry representatives, sources and guests
• Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
• Digital audio editing experience required; ProTools experience preferred
• Experience producing a daily radio talk show preferred
• Radio listener (public and commercial) preferred
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and AFTRA.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter, salary requirements and resume online to email@example.com with "Asst Prod, OTM" and your last name in the subject line.
NYPR must receive all information requested in order to consider your candid