Posted On: December 23, 2010
Media Organization: NYC Department of Education
Almost 135,000 people work full-time in New York City’s public school system with the shared mission to provide the 1.1 million students with an education that gives them the tools to thrive in college, in careers, and as active members of their communities.
Position Summary: The Director, HR Communications will ensure that best practices are used to communicate new human resources initiatives and talent programs internally and externally to various audiences. This will include leading the formulation and roll-out of an information dissemination strategy for new education programs, talent recruitment and retention programs, and teacher effectiveness initiatives. Performs related work.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, Division of Human Resources
Direct Reports: TBD
Key Relationships:Serve as point of contact for communications needs originating from leadership talent, labor and innovation including media and intergovernmental communication.
· Design and develop a comprehensive communications strategy that provides timely and easily accessible information to central administrators, network staff, school leaders, teachers and parents around new initiatives and current programs offered by the various divisions and offices overseen by the Deputy Chancellor for Talent, Labor and Innovation. This will include web-based and written communications about:
o New programs being piloted at the DOE.
o Teacher recruitment initiatives that promote the hiring and retention of top teacher talent for DOE schools.
o Teacher effectiveness initiatives that will link teacher ratings, compensation and tenure decisions directly to student outcomes.
· Serve as quality control for all communication materials coming from various offices reporting to the Deputy Chancellor and measure the effectiveness of HR communications by soliciting feedback.
· Provide oversight for Talent, Labor and Innovation content residing on the DHR website and the Principals Portal.
· Work in a consultative capacity with HR Connect staff on high profile information releases and communications that will be disseminated through the call-in and walk-in centers as part of a larger information rollout strategy.
1. A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four plus years of experience in public relations, journalism, advertising, personnel administration, public administration or education administration or a closely related field including 18 months of supervisory or managerial experience; or
2. A satisfactory combination of post baccalaureate education and/or experience which is equivalent to '1' above.
3. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of supervisory or managerial experience
· Experience in communication, marketing or government relations in writing and editing materials for print and web-based communications vehicles.
· Advanced degree in business management, communications, human resources or another related field.
· Experience leading communication change in the public sector/unionized environment.
· Knowledge of internal and external communications in the public sector.
· Creative and strategic thinker, as well as someone who has the technical expertise to take on new internet-based projects.
· Project and team management experience, exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, demonstrated ability to multi-task.
· Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
· Ability to work with a variety of situations and people coupled with the ability to lead teams of people to meet project goals and deadlines.
· Working knowledge of online communication strategies, desktop design and layout, and print production processes.
· Familiarity with education and the NYC Department of Education.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Email resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/TalentInnovation
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability.
An Equal Opportunity Employer