Posted On: March 31, 2011
Media Organization: ALM Media
ALM, an integrated media company, is a leading provider of specialized business news and information, focused primarily on the legal and commercial real estate sectors. ALM’s market-leading brands include The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, GlobeSt.com, Insight Conferences, Law.com, Law Journal Press, LegalTech, The National Law Journal and Real Estate Forum. Headquartered in New York City, ALM was formed in 1997. For more information, visit www.alm.com.
Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/almjobs
New York Law Journal – General Assignment Legal Reporter
• Review decisions from state and federal courts and report on decisions of interest.
• Develop sources among judges, lawyers, court administration, bar groups, law firms, law schools and government agencies and report news and developments in the legal profession.
• Develop an understanding of the legal issues involved in real estate and corporate transactions.
• Keep an eye out for attorneys with who are the next generation of bar leaders.
• Write profiles of attorneys handling challenging cases, who have developed new and interesting practices, who have made a difference in the profession, etc.
• Keep an eye on pro bono.
• Work with the NYLJ reporting staff on longer term projects and features.
• The reporter must be able to cover breaking news for the web, and provide longer form stories with context for the daily paper; as well as find and report longer term features.
• Persons seeking this position should understand the special relationship between the New York Law Journal and the state and federal courts and the legal community. While we pride ourselves on our aggressive and sophisticated reporting, we also take pride in our professionalism, our fair and balanced reporting, and the fact that we treat our sources with respect. This reporter is the face of the Law Journal on Long Island and must be willing to adhere to our high journalistic and professional standards
• College degree and several years of daily newspaper reporting with emphasis on legal reporting a must.
• Law degree is preferable.
• The ideal candidate must be able to maintain relationships with court personnel, develop sources, doggedly track down information, write clearly and file on deadline
Qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. ALM is an equal opportunity employer that encourages and values diversity. M/F/D/V