Posted On: August 19, 2011
Media Organization: Human Rights First
Established in 1978, Human Rights First works to make sure that human rights are at the center of U.S. foreign policy and that the country leads by example and respects international human rights at home. As a U.S.-based organization founded on the belief that American leadership is essential to human rights progress, its mission is to leverage the influence of American government, business, and culture to advance human rights around the world. It has offices in New York City and Washington, DC.
Human Rights First is seeking a full-time Media Relations Assistant in its Washington, DC office. The ideal candidate for this vacancy is a media savvy, detail-oriented individual who works well with people and under deadline. He or she should possess strong writing, editing and research skills, as well as a basic knowledge of media pitching and social media.
This position reports to the Media Relations Director and interacts with all members of the Communications team and Human Rights First’s program staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Research media databases and create and maintain press lists;
• Draft press materials and web content;
• Proof-read, edit, and fact-check press materials;
• Generate media coverage through targeted pitching;
• Help to plan and staff press events;
• Cultivate traditional and new media contacts;
• Coordinate media availabilities for HRF staff and spokespersons;
• Compile and distribute daily press clips;
• Track key advocacy targets to identify press opportunities;
• Work with the HRF’s Communications Team to ensure timely responses to media inquiries and delivery of accurate information upon request;
• Provide administrative support to HRF’s Director of Communications and Media Relations Director;
• Assist with management of DC-based communications interns;
• Research media opportunities related to issue-specific campaigns and initiatives.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• B.A., B.S., or B.F.A. degree required;
• Relevant experience in political communications, public relations or media, one to two years preferred;
• Highly organized and motivated creative problem solver;
• Strong written and oral communication skills;
• Commitment to accuracy and detail;
• Comfort juggling multiple projects and prioritizing workload;
• Excellent time management and communication skills.
ANNUAL SALARY: Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
START DATE: ASAP
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Please complete the online application found at: http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/Jobs/apply_staff.aspx?qs=EO
You will be requested to provide:
• Resume (upload)
• Cover letter (upload) - please include salary requirements
• 2 writing samples (upload as one document)
• Names and contact details for three (3) references (enter online)
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
HUMAN RIGHTS FIRST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE CONSIDER APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.