Posted On: November 8, 2011
Media Organization: Senior Planet
Senior Planet, an edgy online news magazine for senior citizens launching later this year, is seeking a blogger/social media maven. The site will be informative, entertaining and irreverent: op-eds about ageism, how-tos about healthy aging and profiles of amazing seniors. Think Huffington Post or Slate, but entirely aimed at old folks. We are a nonprofit site designed to inform and entertain older adults and create community among them. This is definitely not AARP. We offer a great working environment and the opportunity for bylines and valuable work experience. Learn more at www.facebook.com/seniorplanet and www.seniorplanet.org.
Senior Planet is a project of Older Adults Technology Services (OATS). OATS, a nonprofit organization based in Park Slope, Brooklyn provides city-wide training and programs that help senior citizens use technology to improve their lives and enhance their social and civic engagement. Learn more at www.oats.org.
• Researching daily news and blogs to find articles relevant to the Senior Planet mission
• Writing short blog posts to accompany daily reposts
• Managing Senior Planet social media sites (scheduling posts/updates, interacting with our followers/friends, expanding our following)
• Fact checking, copy editing, copy writing and transferring articles into the WordPress format
• Researching senior-related articles to link to on Senior Planet
• Ensuring the functionality of the website such as testing links, monitoring comments, etc.
• Helping transfer resources and blogs from the old site to the new site
• Researching potential partnerships for syndicated material or frequent bloggers
• Opportunity to pitch articles for pay
• Familiarity with WordPress and general facility with blogging technology required
• Knowledge of and experience with social media networks
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Detail oriented
• Experience working with older adults helpful but not required
• Strong research skills
• Ability to create and manage deadlines independently
• Highly organized
• Sense of humor
Hours are flexible, 10-20 hours/week and work can be done from home with occasional phone or in person meetings. Start date: ASAP.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample or clip to Caitlin Seifritz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title Senior Planet Blogger in the subject line of your email. Applicants who do not include the requested materials will not be accepted. Qualified candidates will be contacted and asked to complete a short test to demonstrate their editing, writing, and research skills. No phone calls please.