Posted On: December 14, 2011
Media Organization: Rainforest Alliance
The Rainforest Alliance (RA) is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Editorial and Media Manager will be responsible for overseeing content for the Rainforest Alliance’s publications, website and various social media platforms. S/he will also oversee media outreach for the US and Canada, developing strategies to elevate the profile of the organization among consumers, businesses, and key opinion leaders.
• This staff member will manage the organization’s media outreach strategy and publications aimed at key audiences in North America.
• Develop media outreach strategies, including for current and emerging social media platforms; and
• Cultivate media relationships, pitch stories to journalists and continually seek out new media opportunities.
• Oversee the production of the Rainforest Alliance’s principal publications and presentations in English, including, but not limited to, web site, brochures, annual report, videos, slideshows, newsletters, press releases, blog, speeches, fact sheets and case studies, as well as development and event-related materials;
• Serve as in-house editor, providing precisely targeted editorial support as needed;
• Work with in-house and external designers; and
• Write, review and edit printed and online communications to ensure accuracy of information, to detect errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax.
• This position manages two full-time employees and is also responsible for monitoring and approving deliverables for two part time consultants;
• S/he will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and
• Coordinate with consultants on agreement scope of work and subsequent deliverables.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications or Journalism;
• 7-10 years experience in professional work environment;
• A minimum of 8 years experience in journalism, non-profit or corporate communications;
• Strong sense of design and experience working with designers;
• Proven track record in strategic communications work;
• Strong project management and organizational skills;
• Experience managing staff;
• Demonstrated interest in conservation, corporate social responsibility and/or international development issues;
• Superior written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
• Flexibility and willingness to work independently on a wide range of tasks and projects; ability to prioritize tasks;
• Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; and
• Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway, Suite 500, New York, NY 10012; Fax: 212-677-2187; E-mail: Personnel@ra.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.