Posted On: February 23, 2012
Media Organization: Jspace
Jspace is the fastest-growing Jewish online portal. Being a global minority, Jews share an unspoken bond, a commonality and understanding that keeps us unified. Therefore, we created Jspace.com, a place where Jews from all over the world can connect on one platform easily and 100% free.
We’ve built a content-based site that has everything from Jewish dating and travel articles to Jewish news from around the world. Users have the means to meet Jews locally and abroad through our travel guide and social networking services.
We have collaborated to find the best resources for everything and anything you want to know that’s Jewish!
We provide information about:
Great restaurants both Kosher and Non-Kosher (we don’t discriminate) and where to find them
Jewish events in different cities
Where to Eat, what to Do, where to Stay, where to Go Out, where to Pray and what to See in our Jspace Guide
How to meet nice Jewish boys and girls with articles on how to create your dating profiles to get the best responses
Judaism, in a way that’s both profound and accessible
News about Jews, from Middle East politics to celebrity gossip (she’s Jewish?!)
Jspace.com is seeking a full-time reporter to write news, feature, and gossip stories in New York about issues of Jewish interest and concern. The ideal candidate will have some journalistic experience (college experience acceptable); familiarity with global Jewish issues; the skills to master multiple tones and styles; the initiative to pitch stories; excellent reporting and writing abilities; and the ability to work quickly and meet deadlines. This is an entry-level position based in NYC.
Despite that rather dry description, Jspace is a fun, young office that encourages offbeat, unusual ideas and supports independent initiative. Passionate about Klezmer music, local Israeli politics or obscure rabbinical theology? We love it. Prefer to seek out and interview the weirdest Jewish entrepreneurs? Even better! Whatever corner of the Jewish world interests you, interests us, and interests our readers.
• Local and global Jewish reporting
• Writing 9-12 articles per day in addition to working on longer-term projects
• Identifying and cultivating relationships with sources
• Identifying, pitching and developing timely, engaging and unusual stories
• Writing news, feature and gossip stories
• Covering breaking news stories
• Other duties as needed
• Familiarity with global Jewish issues
• Excellent reporting and writing skills
• Ability to work efficiently, quickly and on deadline
• Ability to easily switch between objective and sarcastic writing tones
• Attention to detail and the ability to self-edit articles
• An ability to find unusual stories that aren’t being covered by more conventional sources
• 1.5+ years journalistic experience
• Bachelor’s degree required
This is a full-time, salaried, entry-level position with health benefits and vacation, personal and sick days.
Go to www.jspace.com and make a profile. Comment on some articles and write three venue reviews for the guide. To apply, be sure to make your Jspace profile public, and send a cover letter, resume and three samples of previously published work to Leslie at jspacecorp.com.