Posted On: March 23, 2012
Media Organization: newsday.com
One of the nation’s leading newspaper websites, located in the New York metropolitan area.
newsday.com is looking for an editor to oversee the day-to-day editorial direction, planning and execution of lifestyle and entertainment content at one of the nation’s leading newspaper websites, located in the New York metropolitan area.
The editor is responsible for developing online content, increasing page views, coming up with new ways of engaging our audience and working closely with Newsday editors. This position requires significant online journalism and newsroom experience. Our ideal candidate will also have managerial experience.
* Gather information and produce stories for the lifestyle sections, including Travel, Home and Gardens, Food, Dining and Pets.
* Oversee national and local breaking news and feature entertainment coverage -- including blogs -- and supervise an entertainment producer.
* Plan and implement special projects with the online staff, and collaborate closely with print editors.
* Develop and meet page view and reader engagement goals
* Integrate social media applications into Lifestyle and Entertainment coverage and devise creative ways to promote content on social media.
* Recognize and plan opportunities for mobile and UGC.
* Use advanced web metrics to inform programming and other decisions.
* Responsible for advance planning of weekend entertainment and lifestyle items and communicating those needs to the weekend staff.
* Be available to post content from off-site in the event of breaking news, and to be present on-site during occasional scheduled off-hour coverage of high-profile events.
* Bachelor's degree with a minimum of three-to-five years’ online publishing experience, and experience working in a newsroom.
* Candidate must be tech-savvy and have strong journalism skills
* Previous work with publishing tools, including basic html, content management systems, and photo and video editing programs
* Strong proofreading and copyediting ability.
* Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
* Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
* Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office.
If you are interested in applying for this position, e-mail your resume to Jessica.Damiano@newsday.com. Include in the subject line: Editor -- Lifestyle and Entertainment. Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.