Posted On: April 20, 2012
Media Organization: Marist College
Marist College is an independent and comprehensive liberal arts institution located in New York's historic Hudson River Valley. Situated on 240 acres overlooking the Hudson River, it enrolls 4,200 full-time and 530 part-time undergraduates, 950 graduate and 530 continuing education students. Marist has been recognized for excellence by U.S. News & World Report, TIME Magazine, The Princeton Review's The Best 376 Colleges, and Barron's Best Buys in College Education and is noted for being a pioneer in the area of online degree programs. We are dedicated to helping students develop the intellect and character required for enlightened, ethical, and productive lives in the global community of the 21st Century. The College fulfills its mission by pursuing three ideals: excellence in education, the importance of community, and the principle of service.
The Marist Institute for Public Opinion, located in New York’s historic Hudson River Valley, invites applications for the position of Senior Analyst and Writer. This unique position combines the skills required for analysis of survey results with the exceptional writing and reporting skills of a journalist. The position is largely responsible for analyzing and reporting of survey results for presentation on multiple platforms in coordination with the Director of Data Management and the Director of Interactive Media Systems. The position reports to the Director of Marist Poll.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct relevant research to support projects undertaken by the Marist Institute for Public Opinion (MIPO)
• Conceptualize and execute creative solutions for collecting and reporting survey data
• Develop new ideas for stories, visual features, multimedia reports and presentations grounded in Marist Poll survey results
• Research, report, write, edit, fact-check, and proofread stories
• Create headlines and captions, and track down visual components for reports, presentations, and public releases for Marist Poll survey results and external clients
• Utilize news judgment to determine relevance of survey results
• Work with external clients to develop all parts of survey projects including topic definition, sampling, data collection/analysis and results presentation
• Analyze, summarize and organize quantitative and qualitative data including primary and secondary data sources
• Use SPSS or other statistical software as appropriate
• Use social media and/or emerging technologies to report survey content to multiple audiences
Master’s degree required, Ph.D. preferred, or equivalent experience. This position combines an understanding of social science research and survey methods with a proven ability in communications. Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills, as well as a high degree of professionalism are required. A candidate must possess strong news judgment, the ability to conceptualize the narrative behind the numbers, express quantitative information in a clear and understandable manner for broad and expert audiences, and create engaging reports and presentations. Candidates must possess leadership skills, the ability to work individually as well as in collaborative teams, initiative, the organizational skills to balance multiple assignments, and a willingness to learn and develop new knowledge, skills, and abilities as appropriate. Excellent computer and web skills, proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, or equivalent are required. Familiarity with data analysis software such as SPSS, publishing content online, and social media are a plus. Ability to work flexible hours is required.
The Marist Institute for Public Opinion (MIPO) is a survey research center at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. Founded in 1978, MIPO is home to the Marist Poll and regularly measures public opinion at the local, state, and national level. The Marist Poll is highly respected and is often cited by journalists and analysts around the globe.
The Marist Poll is unique. It was the first college-based survey center in the nation to involve undergraduates in conducting survey research. It’s been over 30 years and still counting. Students participate in each and every survey conducted. Their experiences allow them to weave political science, computing, communications, marketing, and psychology into an interdisciplinary learning experience. Student employment, internships, conferences, and seminars with leading journalists, pollsters and government officials can all be found at MIPO.
Please submit a formal application through http://jobs.marist.edu. Only online applications will be accepted.