Posted On: May 14, 2012
Media Organization: Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. Our 84 affiliates operate over 820 health centers and deliver education programs in all 50 states. Each year, 3,000,000 million people receive over 11.4 million services at Planned Parenthood health centers, 1.2 million people participate in Planned Parenthood education programs and 25 million visitors come to www.plannedparenthood.org. With the help of our network of 4,000,000 activists and supporters, we advocate for improved policies at both the federal and state level and continuously defend our patients’ rights to comprehensive sexual and reproductive healthcare.
Implement media relations strategies to inform and influence key audiences on reproductive health and policy issues and promote Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Produce material for media, respond to media requests, and proactively reach out to media outlets. As part of a team of four Press Officers, handle day-to-day media relations on a wide range of Planned Parenthood issues. This Press Officer will specialize in media relations to reach Latino audiences (in both English and Spanish), but will be called on regularly to work on all of PPFA’s media relations efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Draft press releases, statements, advisories, op-ed pieces, internal memoranda, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, and other material that supports media relations efforts.
• Pitch reporters to proactively promote Planned Parenthood, its initiatives, and its positions in a range of media outlets.
• Respond to inquiries from reporters in order to advance Planned Parenthood, its initiatives, and its positions.
• Identify journalists to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood. Maintain media contacts lists, and build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
• Produce or assist with media-related events and trainings.
• Work with affiliates and relevant PPFA departments to ensure that media materials and strategies reflect broader goals related to policy, field organizing, affiliate priorities, and health care services.
• Coordinate with coalition partners, policymakers’ staff, and other allies to implement shared media relations goals.
• Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on PPFA communications work. Identify and share innovative new ideas for promoting PPFA, its initiatives, and its positions.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of media strategies reaching Latino audiences.
• Develop and strengthen relationships with journalists at outlets reaching Latino audiences.
• Serve as a resource to Planned Parenthood affiliates on media relations strategy development and implementation to reach Latino audiences (and other key constituencies), and help affiliates participate in national efforts by creating locally adaptable material to reach Latino audiences.
• Travel as needed (15-25 percent per month) to represent PPFA at events and to achieve media relations goals in the field.
• Provide administrative backup to the media team on a regular basis, including answering phones, making photocopies, filing, and providing other support.
• Complete special projects as assigned.
Acts as a media relations point person for PPFA. Develops an in-depth knowledge of PPFA programs and positions. Responsible for outreach to media outlets and coordination with other departments, affiliates, and entities. Contributes to the development of media strategies and implements these strategies. Initiates and develops a broad range of important contacts that directly affect the reputation or business dealings of PPFA or its programs. Recommends modifications of activities or procedures to improve effectiveness or efficiency.
Solves critical and complex challenges involving highly varied situations that require an in-depth knowledge of the issues facing Planned Parenthood and the operating environment, including the constantly changing media environment.
Knowledge: The job duties require comprehensive knowledge of media relations obtained through substantial experience in shaping and carrying out media strategies and working closely with members of the national and local media.
The position requires contacts with all Planned Parenthood divisions at all levels of the organization.
This position requires a focus on building and/or maintaining relationships with journalists and with coalition partners, policymakers’ staff, and other entities. Interfaces with affiliate staff.
Education: BA Degree, plus related college courses or professional training.
Years of Experience: 4 or more years of experience working directly with members of the media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
Type of Experience: Must possess excellent communication skills, both English and Spanish. Must be highly articulate. Must write and edit proficiently and quickly. Must have existing direct relationships with members of the press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast). Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and must remain calm under pressure.
Other skills/knowledge: Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Planned Parenthood of America does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Federation of America is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.