Posted On: May 29, 2012
Media Organization: The Spence School
The Spence School, founded in 1892, is an independent school for girls and young women with an enrollment of 700 students in Grades K–12.
The Spence School is seeking an Assistant Director of Communications to join our highly collaborative team in a position that offers a variety of responsibilities in a busy and collegial environment. The Assistant Director works independently and collaboratively within a four-member communications team, reports directly to the Director of Communications and acts as deputy director in the director’s absence. The communications team is part of the Spence Development Office that consists of 12 full-time employees who are responsible for fundraising, alumnae relations and school-wide communications.
College graduate; minimum of 3 years experience in non-profit, independent school or related experience required. The Assistant Director serves as the lead staff writer, is responsible for developing a variety of news and feature stories for print and online media, manages ongoing school communications and oversees the production of print publications. S/he must possess:
• Excellent writing, editing, proofing and project-management skills
• High comfort level and technical proficiency with print, Web and social media tools and platforms
• Ability to organize multiple projects simultaneously with great attention to details, and sensitivity to deadlines and priorities
• Excellent interpersonal skills, forging relationships with multiple constituencies including alumnae, parents, students, faculty and staff as well as outside vendors
• Strong communications skills—in person, on the phone, via e-mail and through written correspondence
• Basic photography skills and understanding of photo editing software
• Ability to approach each day with enthusiasm, patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
• Familiarity with New York City
• Create value in all school communications by developing user-centered communications that promote greater awareness and affinity among key constituents
• Gain a keen understanding of institutional priorities and help develop communication opportunities that support the mission
• Collaborate with the team on the management of all school communications
• Develop and maintain a list of news/story opportunities, and with the communications team conceive, design, write and post interesting and timely news, features and photos about events and academic life at Spence
• Collaborate with the Alumnae Office to pursue more and immediate ways for Spence to be at the forefront of alumnae news and to celebrate its alumnae and their accomplishments
• Manage all aspects of content and scheduling of e-newsletters and e-mail broadcasts—from weekly SpenceNews targeted to families to monthly alumnae e-newsletters
• Develop and implement social media strategies to increase alumnae engagement and bring traffic back to the Web site
• Participate in the planning and creative development of content, messages and design of print and online publications
• Proofread all print and online school communications and publications
• Manage the production of publications and promotional materials, including the Curriculum Guide, Bulletin, Annual Report, admissions materials and Viewbook, fundraising materials, invitations and general mailings from the development stage through final production
• Act as point person to designers, printers and mail houses to maintain time lines and production schedules for all publications
• Maintain the photographic assets of the school in digital and print form; collect images from faculty, parents, alumnae, etc.
• Interview and engage photographers for various events, keeping an active file of professional photographers, noting their strengths and maintaining working relationships
• Organize photo shoots, coordinating schedules with faculty and administrators
• Help coordinate the work of the archivist during the summer in collaboration with the Director of Alumnae Relations
To Apply: Please submit a letter of interest, resume and two writing samples by June 15, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org.