Posted On: October 16, 2012
Media Organization: NY1 News/Time Warner Cable
On September 8, 1992, a new form of media – NY1 News – was launched. NY1 is a 24-hour news channel, serving New York City's five boroughs, parts of Westchester and Hudson Valley as well as Bergen and Hudson Counties in NJ. Available exclusively to more than 2 million cable subscribers on Channel 1 on Time Warner Cable systems, NY1 covers the city with more than 40 full-time reporters and is completely dedicated to New York City news and information.
NY1 expanded into New York City's Latino community by launching the city's first 24-hour Spanish-language news channel, NY1 Noticias in June 2003. The channel is available on Time Warner Cable's DTV channel 801.
Since its inception, NY1 News has become an indispensable community asset and is now the model for cable news channels nationwide. By combining innovative technology with a strong commitment to reporting, NY1 presents viewers with the most comprehensive New York City news, sports, weather, business and features
We offer opportunities to students who are motivated and eager to learn about broadcast journalism and gain valuable experience in a newsroom environment. The following departments are looking for interns who will help plan, execute and coordinate various aspects of news media.
• General News: Interns will work with assignment editors, photographers and news producers as they gather, research, write and produce the local news of the day. This internship is split between work in the field and the newsroom.
• Local Edition: Interns will work with NY1’s Queens, Staten Island and Bergen County, NJ reporters, anchors and researchers to produce local stories. These positions offer a mix of time in the newsroom and in the field.
• Political Unit: Interns will work with the political team (producers, reporters and writers) to produce NY1’s nightly political program Inside City Hall. Candidates with knowledge of city and state government are preferred.
• Education: Intern will work with NY1’s Education Reporter helping to write, research, and produce local education stories. Candidates with knowledge of educational policy and city government are preferred.
• Transit: Intern will work with NY1’s Transit Reporter helping to write, research and produce stories about the city’s transit system. Candidates with knowledge of the transit system are preferred. This internship will require candidates to travel the system throughout the five boroughs to check on story tips. Social media skills are a plus.
• NY1.com: Intern will work with the New Media team to write headlines, develop content, edit copy and create multimedia stories. There will also be opportunities to get hands-on experience creating photos and video for web and use social media tools like Twitter and Facebook to reach out to our viewers.
• NY1 Noticias: Interns will work with NY1 Noticias’ reporters, producers and writers to produce the content on our Spanish language news channel. These positions offer a mix of time in the newsroom and in the field. Must be bi-lingual.
• Pura Politica: Interns will work with the NY1 Noticias’ team to produce our Spanish language political news show. Must be bi-lingual.
• The Call: Interns will have the opportunity to conduct “man on the street” interviews (with photographer) on the topic of the night, screen, log, and edit the interviews into sound bites, edit video clips, sort anchor scripts, run TelePrompter during production, and participate in editorial decisions for our live nightly call-in show.
• Business: Intern will work with members of the Business Unit helping to produce, research and write live business reports from the New York Stock Exchange. This internship is split between NYSE and the NY1 newsroom. Candidates with knowledge of financial news and terminology preferred.
• Rail and Road: Intern will assist our traffic reporters in putting together their live reports during rush hour.
OTHER NY1 INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Features & Sports: REQ# 140004BR
• Living Unit (Arts, Health & Fitness, Technology, Money Matters, Consumer Watch, Parenting, Entertainment, Let’s Eat, On Stage, Technology)
• NY1 for You
• One on 1 with Budd Mishkin
For more information on the positions including how to apply go to www.timewarnercable.com/careers and search for REQ#140004BR
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL INTERNS
Candidates for internships MUST:
• Receive academic credits
• Have strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, leadership and organizational abilities.
• Maintain a professional appearance, be enthusiastic, and have a demonstrated interest in journalism and news.
• Be able to commit to 16-20 hours per week.
• This is an UNPAID INTERNSHIP.
Coursework or previous internship experience in communications, journalism or related field is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested students MUST complete the online application at www.timewarnercable.com/careers
To be considered applicants MUST list the position or positions they are interested in obtaining and rationale for selecting this/these area(s) in a cover letter which should be uploaded as part of the SAME DOCUMENT as their resume.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment and is EOE M/F/V/D