Posted On: November 7, 2012
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: AOL
Yes, AOL has been around for more than 25 years, and yes, we are a leading global web services company operating one of the largest Internet subscription access services in the United States... but big-time things are in the works here. Our already extensive suite of brands now includes industry game-changers such as Huffington Post, Patch, TechCrunch and About.Me. We're working with up-and-coming artists from around the globe to re-invent our brand and help shape the art and design of tomorrow. We're not just embracing the newest online technologies, we are creating them. And at this very moment, we are re-energizing the Web as you know it with the highest quality content possible. Bottom line: We're not your grandma's AOL.
Passionate, curious, analytical? At the AOL helped create popular and engaging online products and destinations that attract over 150 million visitors each month. As a result, AOL is a leading global web services company with a substantial worldwide audience, a suite of powerful web brands, industry leading products and one of the largest advertising networks in the United States. We look for people that are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly psyched about our mission to inform, entertain and connect the world.
Everyday, millions of people visit the AOL Homepage. The Homepage provides our readers with a diverse array of content, including celebrity news, the weather, and national happenings. The AOL Homepage team is looking for an enthusiastic, self motivated intern to join their team!
Responsibilities will include:
• Working with channel editors
• Working specifically with Director of Video Programming & Director of Lifestyle Programming
• Writing headlines
• Optimizing web traffic
• Promoting AOL content across social media platforms
• Growing the already well established online audience & community
Requirements for Success:
• This position is 40hours/week: Recent (2012) Graduate Strongly Preferred.
• Previous Online/Journalism Experience a must
• Have an interest in and be knowledgeable about an array of subjects
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able to respond to news as it happens
• Be able to spot a hot-button story or viral video from a mile away
• Have superior news judgment and writing skills
• Be able to condense large amounts of information into engaging and intriguing promos
• Be able to identify the best photo to accompany a story
• Have excellent organizational skills: be meticulous with details
• Be able to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously without being overwhelmed
• Knowledge/experience with CMS, Photoshop and basic HTML a plus
• English & Journalism Majors Preferred
This internship is available immediately for 6 months at 40 hours / week.
Please email your resume, clips, dates of availability and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.