Posted On: November 19, 2012
Media Organization: Bridgewater Associates, LP
Bridgewater Associates is a leading institutional money manager with over $120 billion in assets under management for a wide array of institutional investors, including foreign governments and central banks, corporate and public pension funds, university endowments and charitable foundations. Founded by Ray Dalio in 1975, Bridgewater is an independent, employee-run organization. The company currently employs approximately 1,200 people in Westport, Connecticut.
Innovation is central to Bridgewater’s culture and its success. Over the last 30 years, the Company has pioneered a range of investment strategies, including currency overlay management in the 1980s; the separation of alpha and beta in the early 1990s; and inflation-linked bond management in the mid 1990s. Bridgewater began managing assets in its optimal alpha strategy Pure Alpha® in 1991 and its optimal beta (Risk Parity) strategy All Weather® in 1996.
Bridgewater’s investment approach is fundamental and systematic. The Company believes a deep understanding of the fundamental cause-effect drivers of global markets is essential for adding value in portfolios, and Bridgewater’s research is believed by many to be the best research on markets in the industry. The Company makes much of its non-proprietary research available through research reports and Bridgewater Daily Observations, which summarize the thinking behind its investment decisions.
Our Research Department is responsible for driving Bridgewater’s understanding of the global economic system and translating that understanding into winning trading strategies. The Research Department is organized into small teams composed of world-class investors, technologists and data analysts. Research Team daily work can include surveillance of important market developments across the world, contributing to our daily research publication, the Bridgewater Daily Observations, advancing one of our long-term research projects or transforming a completed research project into a trading strategy.
You will be a key player on the team that produces Bridgewater’s flagship publication – the Bridgewater Daily Observations. Also known as “the Wire”, the Observations are finished research pieces published twice daily that cover how Bridgewater thinks about the most important developments affecting the US and global economy. The Observations are distributed to all of Bridgewater clients as well as to top policy makers around the world.
The Wire is one of the leading economic research publications in the world. As part of the Wire Team, you will be at the center of Bridgewater’s business and an integral part of the fast-paced engine that drives Bridgewater’s high performance. You will work closely with the CIOs, senior researchers and management team to ensure the publication of a high-quality product. One of your main responsibilities will be to ensure that the final product is in excellent condition before it is sent to clients. As you learn more about the way in which we think about how the world works you will have the opportunity to get more involved with the drafting. Additionally, we will rely on you to help shape a writing development program at Bridgewater. The program is aimed at helping everyone, from first year analysts to senior researchers, improve their writing and communication skills.
Finally, you will work with the publisher to coordinate the day to day production of the Observations, as well as the monthly goal-setting and planning efforts. As one of the key members of the Wire team, your creative problem solving abilities will be able to have a large impact on the production process as a whole.
Candidates who will be a good fit are highly motivated team players who enjoy the challenges that surround a daily publication and are able to roll up their sleeves and problem solve in real time. They will be excited about the opportunity to learn about markets from some of the best macro thinkers in the world and the chance to have real impact on one of Bridgewater’s essential products.
• Edit client communications, including the Bridgewater Daily Observations as well as other monthly/quarterly and annual publications
• Influence the drafting process, likely having the opportunity for deeper impact over time
• Develop and run a writing support program for our junior writers as well as our senior researchers
• Creatively problem solve to improve the quality of the production process
• Assist the publisher in the day-to-day running of Research Department publications
• Support the system for managing the quality of Bridgewater’s publications
• Prepare materials for the regular weekly/monthly/annual publications planning and review meetings
• 2 + years experience as copy editor/writer/reporter on macroeconomics and financial markets
• Strong command of English & understanding of economics and financial market concepts; keen interest in expanding this knowledge
• Experience in dealing with charts/tables and integrating visual elements into written text
• Perfectionist, meticulous in his/her approach to the job at hand; persistent
• Ability to work to tight deadlines; flexibility and adaptability, strong team player, enjoys the chaos that can surround a daily publication
• Interest in dealing with both the editorial and nitty-gritty organizational elements of managing daily publications
• Creative in approach to solving problems; curious about the world
• Willing to give and receive honest feedback
• Think and act like an owner
• Hold and operate by the highest standards of integrity
• Be self-reflective, open and direct
• Driven by and committed to excellence and constant improvement
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Affirmative Action – Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Please apply at the below link if interested in this position: