Posted On: December 11, 2012
Media Organization: Footnote
Footnote (footnote1.com) is a new media site that brings academic research and expertise to a broader audience. We collaborate with scholars in the social sciences and hard sciences to unlock the potential of their research by translating it into content that’s accessible and engaging to mainstream readers.
Footnote is seeking a part-time editor and writer to assist in content creation and publication. Activities will include:
- collaborating with academic contributors to create articles, which involves editing, providing guidance, and some writing
- making academic content more engaging by connecting it to news stories and broader issues that attract readers’ attention
- preparing articles for online publication
- promoting articles to other media outlets and on social media
- identifying academics with expertise on topics of interest to our readers
The position is paid and will involve an average of 8 hours of work a week, with potential for growth as our company expands, including the possibility of a full-time position in the future. Footnote is a small startup, so every member of our team plays a key role in shaping and implementing our vision for the site.
An ideal candidate has:
- a background in journalism/media, academia/research, or both
- experience researching and/or writing about politics, economics, public policy, and other social science fields
- excellent writing and editing skills
- the ability to understand and translate complex information from a range of academic disciplines
- a talent for framing dense, obscure material in a way that’s interesting and appealing to an average reader
- online and social media experience or a willingness to learn the field
If interested, please send a resume, short email introduction, and writing samples of your choice to connect @ footnote1.com. Please review our site (http://footnote1.com) and editorial guidelines (http://footnote1.com/wp-content/uploads/Footnote-Editorial-Guidelines.pdf) before applying.