Posted On: March 19, 2013
Media Organization: NY1 News
ABOUT NY1 NEWS
On September 8, 1992, a new form of media – NY1 News – was launched. NY1 is a 24-hour news channel, serving New York City's five boroughs, parts of Westchester and Hudson Valley as well as Bergen and Hudson Counties in NJ. Available exclusively to more than 2 million cable subscribers on Channel 1 on Time Warner Cable systems, NY1 covers the city with more than 40 full-time reporters and is completely dedicated to New York City news and information. NY1 expanded into New York City's Latino community by launching the city's first 24-hour Spanish-language news channel, NY1 Noticias in June 2003. The channel is available on Time Warner Cable's DTV channel 801.
Since its inception, NY1 News has become an indispensable community asset and is now the model for cable news channels nationwide. By combining innovative technology with a strong commitment to reporting, NY1 presents viewers with the most comprehensive New York City news, sports, weather, business and features.
For New Yorkers, New York 1 is the only local news worth watching.
We offer opportunities to students who are motivated and eager to learn about broadcast journalism and gain valuable experience in a newsroom environment. The following departments are looking for interns who will help plan, execute and coordinate various aspects of news media.
FEATURES & SPORTS INTERNS
• Living Unit: Interns will work with reporters and producers who research, shoot and write NY1’s feature reports (including Arts, Health & Fitness, On Stage, Technology Report and Money Matters) and long-form special programming.
• NY1 for You: Interns will assist producer and reporter on shoots, interview subjects, pitch story ideas, and research investigative and consumer stories.
• One on 1 with Budd Mishkin: Intern will research guests, prepare transcripts from interviews, participate in field shoots, and collect archival material for use in packages. Interns who demonstrate exceptional initiative and skill will have the opportunity to propose potential subjects to be profiled.
• Sports: Interns will log sporting events, edit highlights, assist in the control room during live shows, attend sporting events and assist shooters in the field.
OTHER NY1 INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
· General News (Assignment Desk/Producers)
· Local Edition (focusing on Queens, Staten Island and Bergen County, NJ)
· NY1 Noticias
· Pura Politica
· The Call
· Rail & Road
· Video Editing
Candidates for internships MUST:
• Receive academic credits
• Have strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, leadership and organizational abilities.
• Maintain a professional appearance, be enthusiastic, and have a demonstrated interest in journalism and news.
• Be able to commit to 16-24 hours per week.
• This will be UNPAID INTERNSHIP.
Coursework or previous internship experience in communications, journalism or related field is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested students MUST apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers