Posted On: February 5, 2014
Media Organization: Environment America
We all want clean air, clean water and open spaces, but it takes independent research and tough-minded advocacy to win concrete results for our environment, especially when powerful interests stand in the way of environmental progress. That's the idea behind Environment America. We are a federation of 29 state environmental groups working towards a cleaner, greener and healthier future. We speak out and take action at the local, state and national levels to improve the quality of our environment and our lives.
Our Washington, DC advocacy office represents the Environment America federation in federal policy matters. Our roots at the state level give Environment America a unique “outside the beltway” perspective on the issues, while our state staff, national field organizers and members across all 50 states provide the grassroots power necessary to enact change at the federal level.
Environment America is a federation of state-based, citizen-funded environmental advocacy organizations. We believe there’s something special about our country — and so much worth protecting and preserving for future generations.
Environment America is seeking an experienced Media Director for its fast-paced Federal Advocacy Office in Washington, D.C. The Federal Media Director is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy to increase the visibility and efficacy of our federal environmental campaigns and of our organization. The Federal Media Director would maintain and further develop Environment America’s relationships with national reporters, increase placement in national, local and new media, and work with Environment America’s advocacy and campaign staff to win campaigns, and build our name recognition.
Coordinate Environment America’s National Media Outreach
• Build relationships with editorial boards, editors, columnists and reporters from national media outlets, Washington, DC publications and trade press;
• Write and edit releases, statements and advisories on a variety of environmental issues to be sent to all national media;
• Execute rapid response for breaking environmental news stories;
• Organize compelling news conferences, media briefings, webinars and teleconferences on environmental issues; and
• Increase Environment America’s outreach to blog writers and other new media.
Develop and Execute a Coordinated National Communications Strategy
• Develop a long term strategy for increasing Environment America’s name recognition and presence in the media;
• Guide development of public messages for our priority campaigns; and
• Work with the organization’s program and field staff to create effective media strategies for each of our priority campaigns and execute effective media-related tactics including report releases, editorial board outreach, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
Demonstrate and Demand Excellence at Environment America
• Train new staff to interact with the media in a concise, compelling and on-message manner;
• Demonstrate excellence in working with the media to serve as a role model for all Environment America staff.
Candidates must have at least 3 to 8 years of relevant professional experience post-college. Preference is given to past work in political, policy, journalistic, or government settings. The Media Director must be an organized and goal-driven individual. Excellent writing skills, communications skills and a proven track record of positive relationships with the media are all critical.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with a candidate’s relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, maternity or paternity leave, paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Apply online at jobs.environmentamerica.org or contact Anna Aurilio (firstname.lastname@example.org).