Posted On: February 19, 2014
Media Organization: Voice Media Group
Voice Media Group is the largest group of metropolitan newsweeklies in the U.S., publishing papers in eleven of the country’s most vibrant cities. VMG was created in 2012 when a group of company executives agreed to purchase the publications from the previous owners, Village Voice Media Holdings. The company's namesake Village Voice in New York City was founded in 1955, and introduced the notion of free-form, high-spirited and passionate journalism into the public discourse. As the nation's first and largest alternative newsweekly, the Voice is the winner of three Pulitzer Prizes, and today maintains the same tradition of no-holds-barred reporting and cultural coverage that it first embraced more than fifty years ago.
Though many of the country's alternative weeklies continue to be known for their agenda-driven approach to news, VMG remains true to a different vision. VMG papers emphasize strong writing and solid reporting and are averse to protecting sacred cows. That commitment to journalistic fundamentals has only deepened over the years. As a result, while an increasing number of daily papers shorten stories and hire consultants to tell them what to print, VMG papers thrive by cultivating source networks, generating truly original story ideas, and digging into stories rather than skating across their surface.
Voice Media Group is looking for a data scientist to bring creative energy and insights to our suite of digital products. Working in either our New York, Phoenix or Denver offices, you’ll learn our business -- websites, apps, social media, SEO and mobile web -- and help us grow by analyzing metrics and offering new ideas about improving monetization and performance.
• Work with our data and engineering teams to identify and answer questions about our digital products.
• Develop effective models to study and predict user behavior and how it should affect product development.
• Use statistical techniques to analyze ad impression inventory.
• Design and implement reporting dashboards to track key performance indicators.
• Manage scripts and tools that manage data from multiple sources.
• A/B testing best practices and methodologies.
• Experience with relational databases, data architecture and Structured Query Language.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• A passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data.
• An ability to set and meet your own project objectives and milestones.
• Digital media experience and familiarity with our publications and web journalism as a whole is a big plus. We want a math wizard who also likes to read.
• A bachelor's degree is required, preferably in statistics, quantitative analytics, applied mathematics, or computer science.
We offer competitive salary and benefits.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org