Posted On: February 21, 2014
Media Organization: Newzulu, Inc.
Newzulu is the world’s leading crowd-sourced news and freelance journalism platform. Newzulu operates in partnership with Australian Associated Press in Australia and New Zealand, the Press Association in the UK & Ireland, and with Agence-France-Press (AFP) in Europe and around the globe. Newzulu was founded in 2007 as Citizenside.com in partnership with AFP to connect with over 150,000 contributors in over 150 countries worldwide. With global headquarters in Paris, Newzulu operates bureaus in London, New York, Los Angeles, Montreal, Sydney and Auckland, providing crowd-sourced news, citizen journalism and editorial services to thousands of editorial and commercial clients globally.
Newzulu.com is a crowd-sourced news wire service, based primarily on freelance journalism, as well as eyewitness and social content from around the globe. We verify stories from over 100,000 contributors in 150 countries.
We are looking for someone to head the outreach and cultivation of a thriving community of news contributors in New York, with special focus on Manhattan. The primary responsibilities of the Newzulu New York Editor will be to:
1. Fact-check and verify to the highest journalistic standards incoming story submissions from contributors.
2. Repackage stories for our wire partners and media clients.
3. Manage the dynamic New York community of Newzulu contributors (Newzulu.com) and expand it exponentially.
The Newzulu.com New York Editor will work closely with the Newzulu Global Editor-in-Chief who is based in Paris.
Daily tasks and desired qualities include, but are not limited to:
* Strong editorial skills: Reviewing, validating and publishing contributions (photos, videos and articles) on-the-go, identifying and designating contributions with high news value
* Editorial and strategic management of the Newzulu.com site
* Highly connected to the daily and long-term news agenda in New York and reactiveness to news stories as they break/unfold; issuing “Newscalls” to contributors and finding new potential contributors
* Collaborate with media sales team of our partner newswires and the Newzulu Paris team to ensure that contributions are published as quickly as possible, distributed and sold on the broadest possible basis within the USA and in overseas markets.
* Management of a creative and buzz-worthy social media presence
* Be a model Newzulu contributor, by submitting interesting and well-produced stories on a regular basis
* Impeccable English spelling and grammar, French and other languages a plus
The ideal candidate for this position is a high-level energy journalist-entrepreneur. We’re looking for someone with a passion for citizen journalism and news innovation, who is dynamic, can work independently and is a creative problem-solver.
The candidate must have a sharp news sense and be able to identify and pursue newsworthy stories. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must. You must be meticulous about your work. A background in visual journalism is a big plus.
We’d like to hear from candidates with a proven track record of excellence in managing contributors and working under pressure and have solid social media community management skills.
THIS JOB IS BASED IN NEW YORK
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com