Posted On: April 10, 2014
Media Organization: W.W. Norton & Company
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years”. In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital supplements that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to work in the College Department. The position involves supporting the two editors of our college political science list.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production- Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Setting and adhering to schedules. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production. Checking art manuscript and creating photo logs for manuscript.
• Telephone and message management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
• Document management – Faxing, copying, printing, emailing. Organizing and maintaining files.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Auditing – Applying for book ISBN numbers and copyright. Checking textbook and ebook prices across sources.
• Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
• Coordinating text and illustrations programs.
• Corresponding with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy, with minimal mistakes.
• A social science background and/or passion for social science and social science education strongly preferred.
• Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.