Posted On: April 28, 2014
Media Organization: IEEFA
Background on the Institute
The Institute conducts research and analyses on financial and economic issues related to energy and the environment. The Institute’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy and to reduce dependence on coal and other non-renewable energy resources.
The Institute produces a significant volume of original research products, as well as ongoing analysis and reports of issues affecting the energy industries. It also works closely with a variety of advocacy organizations around the country, and is involved in international coal finance issues as well.
The Institute’s major research reports, press coverage, and other resources can be found on our website, www.ieefa.org.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) is seeking candidates to fill the newly-created position of Media Affairs Director.
The organization is headquartered in Cleveland, but key personnel are also located in several other cities, including New York, Boston, Charleston, WV, and Sydney, Australia. We prefer that the media affairs director be located in New York City, though we would consider outstanding applicants from other locations.
Role and responsibilities of a media affairs director
We are seeking to hire an experienced, in-house, media affairs director, who can identify new opportunities for media coverage, respond to and manage demand for the Institute’s expertise, and build relationships with media outlets.
The major responsibilities for the media affairs director will include:
- Serve as an integral part of the Institute team, helping to develop ideas and themes for research and reports;
- Develop specific release strategies for all major reports – work with reporters before release, decide on press conference or not, decide on who the local sponsors should be if any;
- After a report is released (or a major development on occurs on one of our issues) – follow up for editorials, placement of op ed pieces, continue to keep key reporters in the loop on new developments, work on planting follow up stories;
-Work with Institute staff to make maximum use of the ieefa.org website for journalists and other audiences;
- Maintain a working knowledge of coverage of our work and related areas and use it to increase our outreach and leverage;
- Develop and maintain relationships among trade press, including publications that focus on finance, municipal bonds, coal, energy, electricity and other relevant fields;
- Develop weekly or periodic news briefs (or blog) that “connect the dots” and distribute comments and observations from key Institute personnel; work with Institute staff and board to develop a list for circulation, including:
a. Major news outlets;
b. Institutional investors or other interested investors and individual financial analysts;
c. Policy makers at any level who are interested in these issues (e.g. key Congressmembers and staff);
d. Advocacy organizations;
e. Institute funders and supporters;
f. Industry professionals (e.g. academics who follow utility regulation).
Qualifications for a media affairs director
We are seeking a professional who has good judgment, a strong understanding of financial issues, knowledge of how to translate these issues to broader audiences, and some existing set of media relationships in relevant areas. Of course, the person will need excellent writing skills, a command of information technology, a sharp political sense, the ability to fit in well with our team, and a strong commitment to our work. Minorities and women are especially encouraged to apply.
The media affairs director will report to the executive director (located in Cleveland) and work closely with all Institute personnel.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of relevant experience. Interested persons should provide a resume and a writing sample to:
Christa Ebert, Program Manager
Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis
All submissions should be by email with the phrase “IEEFA Media Director Search” in the subject line. No phone calls please.