Posted On: August 13, 2014
Media Organization: The New Republic
Tailored for smart, curious, socially aware readers, The New Republic covers politics, culture and big ideas from an unbiased and thought-provoking perspective. Well-known for its century-old tradition of providing context and analysis beyond the daily headlines, The New Republic has been reimagined for the 21st century with fresh and compelling design across print, digital, and mobile devices.
What you’ll be doing
You will be part of a growing team that builds and iterates beautiful products. You will be working collaboratively with product, development and sales teams to conceptualize and recommend design solutions. That includes visual design for logos and other assets, in addition to sketches and wireframes to inform product vision. You’ll also be doing some front-end coding and working with developers to launch products on deadline.
Who we are
We are a small magazine company that is focused on a bright digital future. Our brand - The New Republic - is celebrating its centennial this year and we’re exceptionally proud of our intelligent, award-winning content. Our goals are to continue building our online audience while exploring new products that will delight our readers. We develop for desktop, mobile and social platforms, and get excited about emerging platforms.
How we work
We think our relatively small size gives us the advantage of being able to move quickly (rather than just saying we do). We understand the value of ideas and keep all members of our team engaged in the creative process. Our development team employs basic Agile methodology, with an emphasis on results over process. We’re continuously evolving not just what we build, but also how we build it. We’re open to having remote team members.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for a talented designer who sees the world and our products through the eyes of our audience. You should be able to explain your design decisions and iterate as ideas and assumptions are tested. You should then be able to realize those designs in wireframes, prototypes and development-ready assets. You should value teamwork over heroics and pragmatism over dogmatism.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Impeccable visual design skills, with a strong interest in typography
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of web and user-interface design and usability
- Proficiency with Mac OSX, Illustrator, Photoshop and other editing tools
- Track record of embodying empathy and strongly advocating for users
- A strong desire to take risks and try new things
- User research and testing experience
- Familiarity with high-volume publishing workflows and environments
- Experience with visualization libraries like D3
- Illustration skills
- Expertise with responsive design using Bootstrap and other frameworks
- Experience with motion graphics and animation
Send your resume, links to your online portfolio and your Github URL, if available, to Mark Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org).