Posted On: September 18, 2014
Media Organization: Demos
Founded in 2000 and headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, DC and Boston, Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. We move ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, such as landmark credit card reforms and nearly 2 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
• Media relations experience: S/he has built and maintained relationships with media, successfully pitched projects to reporters, and secured media coverage.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills: S/he demonstrates the ability to craft clear and effective messaging, and an ability to edit and proofread documents well.
• Grasp of the media landscape, news cycles and trends: S/he can identify themes and narratives that expand the reach, visibility and impact of Demos' work amongst target audiences, including media, social media and other external partners.
• Strategic and creative thinker: S/he tests new approaches to disseminating information; identifies new strategies for injecting our ideas into the public debate to help sustain and grow a progressive narrative.
• Supervisory experience: S/he has managed staff, providing guidance, input and feedback.
• Outstanding organizational skills: S/he is highly organized, with the ability to multi-task, capture important details and prioritize work.
We are more interested in these six qualities than in any particular amount of experience, however this is not an entry-level position. Familiarity with Demos’ work and our issue areas is a plus, as well as prior experience in the nonprofit or progressive political arena, or media. Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
The Associate Director of Communications will develop strategies and manage outreach for a rapidly growing portfolio of projects and dynamic team of issue experts. The Associate Director serves as a key player in enhancing the visibility and impact of the organization’s work, raising the media profile for a wide range of policy and issue advocacy work, as well as our visionary leadership, and elevating Demos as a respected resource for progressive policy analysis. The Associate Director reports to the Director of Communications and works closely with the Development, Advocacy, Research and Legal teams. Must be able to represent the organization well publicly with a variety of target audiences, as well as develop and maintain department systems and infrastructure.
Upload a thoughtful cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com.
We are looking for an immediate hire. No phone calls please. Only applications submitted through HiringThing will be reviewed.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.