Posted On: September 25, 2014
Media Organization: ALM Media
The American Lawyer’s parent company, ALM, is the leading provider of specialized business news and information, focused primarily on the legal and commercial real estate sectors. ALM's award-winning publications, events and digital properties anticipate and address the needs of our elite audience, delivering information and tools that allow them to succeed in today’s rapidly-changing and demanding business environment. ALM will continue to produce and distribute trusted and timely news, data, analysis and insights in an engaging and personalized manner on integrated platforms. For more information, visit www.alm.com.
ALM places a high value on employees and strives to be an employer of choice. To that end we offer competitive salaries, professional growth opportunities, and a comprehensive selection of benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, 401(K) and life insurance options.
The American Lawyer, a prize-winning monthly magazine and a group of Web sites and digital newsletters, is expanding its newsroom. We’re looking for three new reporters. We cover subjects such as the top grossing firms globally; the work they handle; the lawyers at those firms; career issues; management issues; and much more. We are on top of the leading business news every day – from a law firm/legal angle.
If you’re a good writer who can find the gold in a lawsuit; if you’re into data journalism and can unearth the most interesting findings from our exclusive surveys of law firms (and explain them convincingly); or if you can chronicle quickly and well the daily news from the world’s leading firms, one of these jobs might have your name on it.
Specifically, we’re looking for:
• A reporter to write for The Litigation Daily, one of our daily newsfeeds with a particular focus on interesting angles in lawsuits and on litigators.
• A reporter who can turn survey data into compelling, well written stories and who can create a steady stream of stand-alone charts and graphs help our daily news team create stand-alone charts and graphs.
• A reporter who can cover breaking news and interesting features from the law-firm world, including which firms got the big deals and why, intriguing pro bono cases, etc.
For each of these positions, responsibilities include:
• Reporting and writing stories mainly for our daily publications but also for The American Lawyer magazine.• Developing sources, gathering news, and supporting stories in other areas of the Web and in the magazine.• Establishing and broadening a base of industry and academic contacts.• Identifying and acting on story opportunities.
• Bachelors Degree in Journalism, English or related field of study.
• Ability to develop ongoing source relationships.• Strong reporting and writing skills.• Good interviewing skills.• Excellent organizational and communication skills.• Strong nose for news.• Able to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment. • Legal and/or business journalism experience a plus.
Qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com for immediate consideration with the subject line: Reporter – The American Lawyer. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. ALM is an equal opportunity employer that encourages and values diversity. M/F/D/V