Posted On: October 23, 2014
Media Organization: Climate Central
Climate Central is a fast growing, non-profit organization of scientists, analysts, and journalists researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impact on the American public. We are an independent organization with a dynamic entrepreneurial atmosphere. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
Climate Central seeks a creative, experienced editor to join our team of journalists in New York. Candidates must understand the digital news landscape, come to the table with natural curiosity and fresh ideas, be both a great editor and headline writer, and play a leading role with our social media campaigns -- all while upholding the highest possible journalism standards.
The best candidate will lift the level of our work, exhibit critical thinking and personal integrity and work well in a collegial environment with our small but growing team. Climate Central's editorial staff is journalistically independent of the organization's research and communications programs. Its veteran journalists report daily on climate science and the facts about our changing climate and the impact on the American public.
- Story assignments for daily and long-range content focused mainly on climate science.
- Help coordinate photos and graphics to accompany stories.
- Edit on a quick-turnaround basis for daily web content, with an eye toward capturing and holding the attention of busy web readers.
- Help produce content via our CMS.
- Write SEO-friendly headlines.
- Help coordinate our social media efforts.
- Coach our news team, providing meaningful feedback that results in better stories and higher-quality journalism.
- Work with the research team to help create reports and interactive graphics.
- Help the production team keep site updated and fresh throughout the day.
- Work with the VP for Global Communications and the Director of Digital Media on strategic development for all digital properties.
- Bachelor’s degree and real-world experience as an editor for a digital news or print property.
- Must enjoy working as a team player in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Proven ability not only to edit copy in AP style, but to improve staff copy as well.
- Must have a solid understanding of story structure, news writing, and embrace highest journalistic standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize responsibilities appropriately.
- Understanding of, and experience with SEO best practices.
- Experience engaging audience on myriad social media platforms.
- Must have the ability to work independently while maintaining close communication with Director of Digital Media.
- Experience publishing content via content management systems.
- Be a critical thinker who is also results-driven and highly organized.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to Iveta Weinberg (firstname.lastname@example.org). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Search will close when successful candidate is recruited to fill this position.