Posted On: January 5, 2015
Media Organization: ValuePenguin.com
About ValuePenguin.com: We’re a growing personal finance start-up based in New York City that focuses on original research and analysis to help readers make informed consumer finance decisions. Our team publishes research reports, recommendations, reviews, and tools explaining the what, how, and why around topics such as insurance, credit cards, and everyday purchases.
We’re a small start-up, so you’ll be joining a team where every person has an opportunity to contribute ideas and shape how our company grows. In the beginning, we take a hands-on approach to training and teaching you how to dig through data and sources, critically structure and quantify important information, and then package it into an article or guide that is useful to readers. As you develop more experience and expertise, you’ll get more responsibility and autonomy on what you research and write.
As an Associate Editor, you’ll be publishing a wide array of content, from topical news, industry studies, to blog posts to drive traffic and media mentions of our site. You’ll have your finger on the pulse of what’s unique, interesting, or helpful in the world of personal finance and beyond. You like thinking about questions and issues from different perspectives and angles.
Here’s what you’ll be responsible for:
• Pitch interesting story and blog ideas for research and development
• Unearth useful or interesting highlights and syntheses through data analysis
• Create and develop your own personal finance beat with useful and engaging content
• Report on new trends and developments in the personal finance space
• BA/BS from accredited college with two years or less of writing experience
• Inquisitive, analytical, and informed thought process
• Critical eye for data, numbers, logic, and accuracy
• Desire to contribute to and shape a growing start-up
• Constant drive for improvement
• Self-starter with a strong work ethic capable of delivering on deadline
• Comfort with adapting and multi-tasking across several deliverables
Send a resume and non-fiction writing sample to careers[at]valuepenguin.com.