Posted On: February 19, 2015
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: WPMT-FOX43 News
WPMT FOX43 is Central Pennsylvania’s FOX station serving Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon Pennsylvania, and surrounding areas. WPMT is one of the oldest operating UHF TV stations in the United States. FOX43 delivers viewers over 34 hours of local news coverage per week with the FOX43 Morning News, FOX43 First at 4PM. FOX43 News at 5PM, and FOX43 News at 10.
FOX43 is also the area’s leader for local and national sports coverage. The station carries the NFL on FOX, MLB on FOX, NASCAR on FOX as well as the only local high school football pregame show, The FOX43 High School Football Frenzy. FOX43 is also Central PA’s official Philadelphia Eagles station carrying both preseason and regular season games.
WPMT-FOX43 News based in York, Pennsylvania is currently accepting internship applications for the Summer 2015 semester. We have a variety of internship opportunities available for currently enrolled undergraduate students, 18 years of age or older, pursuing careers in television, broadcasting, journalism and other related fields.
Candidates must be available at least 20 hours per week. Interns must be highly organized, self-starting individuals who have a nose for news, along with sharp and quick writing skills.
You also must be able to work quickly, efficiently and without much supervision.
This position pays $7.25/hour (minimum wage in Pennsylvania), and Fox43 News will accept a letter of support from your office of career services if you are not taking the internship for credit.
Our objective is to enhance the student's understanding of the broadcasting business, production systems and to reinforce their desire to further pursue a career in broadcasting.
AVAILABLE INTERNSHIPS AT FOX43:
· Students will get the opportunity to see how a Newscast is created for broadcast.
· With that in mind, all interested applicants should have a vast knowledge of all current events.
· The intern will work a rotating schedule that will allow them to experience in-house and field tasks, that includes, but is not limited to, assignment desk assistance, general assignment reporter shadow, and writer/producer shadow.
· Selected Interns will have the opportunity to be assigned to a particular division within the News Department (i.e, Reporting, Producing, Writing, Video Editing, Shooting)
· At the end of the internship, the student should be able to conduct an interview, write a story and package, and facilitate story leads for possible assignments.
Note: FOX43 reserves the right NOT to accept any incomplete applications. FOX43 will NOT contact any applicant if any portion of the application is missing
To apply, email a cover letter that clearly outlines your availability and interests, a resume, and three clips or writing samples to Valerie Waltz (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use the subject line “FOX43 Internship.”
Deadline to apply is April 1, 2015
In order to apply for an internship with WPMT, you must submit the following:
1. One copy of your resume outlining any other internships, certifications, work experience, related clubs and organizations, current major course of study, expected graduation date and extracurricular activities.
2. Cover letter which must include:
Department you would like to intern for ( i.e. Reporter, Photographer, Producer, Video Editor, Director)
Statement verifying eligibility to receive school credit for internship
Your schools beginning and end dates for the semester during which you wish to intern
Days and times available during internship period
While students who enter this program should not expect immediate employment with our station, they will have the prerequisite skills to acquire an entry-level position in the broadcasting field.