Posted On: May 13, 2015
Media Organization: Demos
Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where we all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. Our name means “the people.” It is the root word of democracy, and it reminds us that in America, the true source of our greatness is the diversity of our people. Our nation’s highest challenge is to create a democracy that truly empowers people of all backgrounds, so that we all have a say in setting the policies that shape opportunity and provide for our common future. To help America meet that challenge, Demos is working to reduce both political and economic inequality, deploying original research, advocacy, litigation, and strategic communications to create the America the people deserve.
Demos’ work is guided by three overarching commitments:
-- Achieving true democracy by reducing the role of money in politics and guaranteeing the freedom to vote,
-- Creating pathways to ensure a diverse, expanded middle class in a new, sustainable economy, and
-- Transforming the public narrative to elevate the values of community and racial equity.
We are looking for a supremely organized, energetic, and creative individual to join the communications department of Demos, a key player in the progressive movement. You will help implement strategies to enhance the visibility and impact of the organization’s work, raise the media profile for a wide range of policy and issue advocacy work, as well as our visionary leadership, and elevate Demos as a respected resource for progressive policy analysis. You should be thoughtful, persistent, and enjoy working with a range of different people (from policy analysts and advocates to lawyers and development experts), look forward to being a thought partner on strategy, and excel at juggling responsibility for multiple projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Pitching stories and experts; responding to requests from media; screening to ensure inquiries are relevant to the mission and program; triggering rapid response strategy in accordance with the news cycle.
· Writing and editing communications materials, including press releases and media advisories for organization’s issue and program work.
· Distributing and promoting press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, submissions to blogs, etc., securing expanded media coverage of the organization’s work.
· Providing research and media training support to prepare Demos experts for appearances and interviews
· Monitoring traditional and new media for coverage of Demos and our issue areas.
· In conjunction with the Communication team’s leadership, cultivating and maintaining relationships with key media and partners aligned with Demos’ work who cover the organization’s issues.
· Maintaining the media database, creating press outreach lists and monitoring staff interactions with members of the press, developing and implementing systems for benchmarking media relations outcomes.
· Serving as departmental liaison on content-based Work Teams.
· Assisting Work Teams in the implementation of media campaigns.
· Other duties, including research and administrative needs, as assigned.
· Responsible for efficient rapid response strategy on assigned issues.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
1. Strong research and organization skills;
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, including but not limited to executives, managers and subject matter experts of diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise;
3. Solid knowledge of current events, public policy issues and politics and familiarity with news media monitoring tools and reporting;
4. Strong team player with outstanding relationship-building skills and a commitment to valuing racial diversity and embracing inclusion.
Prior professional experience, preferably in a non-profit or within an agency, is a plus. Knowledge of historical and current voting rights legislation, campaign finance laws, and the labor movement would also be a plus. Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
Send cover letter, résumé, and a short writing sample by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com
We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer --people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.