Posted On: June 2, 2015
Media Organization: Millennium Promise
At Millennium Promise, our vision is the eradication of extreme poverty, hunger, and preventable disease within our lifetime. We believe that extreme poverty can be cut in half by 2015 worldwide, even in the poorest, most remote regions.
Our mission is to provide the operational platform and resource mobilization for the Millennium Villages Project, which empowers communities to lift themselves out of extreme poverty. The Millennium Villages Project is a joint venture between Millennium Promise and the Earth Institute, Columbia University, to demonstrate that extreme poverty can be eradicated in our lifetime. Our work reaches half a million people in communities in 10 countries across sub-Saharan Africa, with scale-up initiatives launching throughout the region.
The Millennium Villages Project takes a community-led, science-based approach to accomplishing the world’s eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in rural Africa. The Project’s premise is that integrated, community-led improvements in health, food production, education, water access, essential infrastructure, and business development will enable the villages to propel themselves on a path of self-sustaining economic growth.
Millennium Promise seeks a freelance writer and project coordinator to support our Development team in New York. Applications are due June 15, 2015. See detailed requirements and application instructions below. Thank you for your interest in Millennium Promise!
• Coordinate the production of high quality reports for donors and the board of directors. This includes drafting, editing, and proofreading, as well as working with teams in New York and Africa to gather necessary information, field questions, compile drafts, circulate drafts for review, revise drafts, and finalize reports.
• Distill information from technical and field reports in order to highlight appropriate programmatic information.
• Help with design and formatting of reports using Microsoft Word following existing templates. May also be asked to prepare PowerPoint presentations for board meetings.
• Assist with other writing and editing projects, including strategic planning and business plan documents from Millennium Village teams.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-3 years relevant work experience
• Excellent communication skills with evidence of strong writing and editing skills
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Outstanding Microsoft Word and PowerPoint skills, and basic Microsoft Excel
• Familiarity and/or interest in issues related to international development
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and juggle multiple projects
• Ability to work independently as well as with team members
• Ability to analyze and integrate information clearly, quickly, and consistently
• Positive attitude, flexibility, patience, and good sense of humor
This position reports to the Director of Development & Communications.
This position is based in New York City.
Please send your cover letter and resume by June 20, 2015, to email@example.com. We will contact well-qualified candidates to submit writing samples and references.