Posted On: August 13, 2015
Media Organization: The College Board
Senior Director, Media Relations
Job ID: HC20151204-61687
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Director of Media Relations.
This position is resident at our New York City headquarters and reports to an executive director.
Leads a proactive and reactive media relations strategy that protects and builds the reputation of the College Board and furthers the organization’s mission. Expands the reach, quality and impact of earned media by building and maintaining relationships with a cross-section of outlets – print, broadcast and digital – at the national, state and local levels. Supervises a team in executing a strategy that includes placement of stories, timely and accurate responses to incoming inquiries, and streamlined rapid response in crisis situations. Works closely with program leadership and external agencies to ensure consistent use and delivery of messages. Reports directly to the Executive Director, Communications.
* Responsible for developing and executing a robust, multi-faceted national and regional/local media strategy that helps further the mission and aligns with state and national goals by creating proactive opportunities; cultivate relationships with media outlets that touch a variety of different key audiences – policymakers, students, parents, educators, advocates, etc. – through different channels
* Work closely with College Board programs, Executive, Member, Program, and Community Communications, Government Relations, State & District Partnerships and others to ensure appropriate messaging materials;
* Lead crisis communications and issues management;
* Manage media campaigns in support of College Board public policy initiative including state-by-state Government Relations initiatives and execution of media events around the country for both national and state events;
* Advise senior division management and College Board executives on communications and public relations issues;
* Assist with and contribute to the strategic planning for the unit;
* Manage media relations staff members as they work to execute strategy;
* Build and manage an international media relations strategy.
Maintain regular contact with executive leadership, College Board spokespeople and managers in other departments/divisions to integrate work activities and products. Provide strategic media advice to senior managers and College Board executives
Maintain significant contacts with members of the media, external College Board spokespeople and advocates, government officials, consultants, vendors and other external parties who have a major impact on the image, reputation and success of the department and of The College Board
* Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree a plus.
* Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in public relations, journalism or a related field required.
* Background should include direct support of a prominent principal (client/elected official/candidate), including staffing for media events and preparing briefings.
* Extensive experience working with members of large media outlets a must. International experience a plus.
RELATED SKILLS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
* Must be able to travel as needed
* Ability to communicate complex public policy initiatives for a broad audience
* Comprehensive, integrated knowledge of all College Board programs
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
Desired Travel 25% - 50%
Areas of Expertise Media Relations, Communications
Highest Level of Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location New York, NY
Years of Relevant Experience 6-9
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/fmb9hbf8t7