Posted On: September 17, 2015
Media Organization: Rookie
Rookie is an online magazine and book series for teenagers. Each month, a different editorial theme drives the writing, photography, and artwork that we publish.
Rookie (rookiemag.com) is hiring! We’re looking for a story editor!
The ideal person for this job has at least two years’ experience as a story editor (either in print or online) and knows the basics of copyediting and fact-checking. Rookie is a fast-growing but small operation located in Brooklyn, NY (applicants should live in New York and be able to meet in and work from our office). We’re looking for someone who learns new skills and protocols quickly and who enjoys solving problems on their own. This is a contract position, with a possibility of becoming a salaried position down the line.
What you’ll be doing for Rookie:
• editing, copyediting, and fact-checking stories
• pitching stories, monthly editorial themes, and other kinds of content
• writing headlines and subheads
• publishing content in WordPress
• managing deadlines for writers, illustrators, and photographers
• collaborating with our team of story editors and freelance contributors
• reviewing and editing submissions from readers
• editing occasional pieces for print projects
• pitching contributions from and interviews with interesting people doing interesting work
• being on the lookout for new content and new contributors for the site
• light photo and video editing on occasion
• light social media
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line STORY EDITOR APPLICATION:
1. Your résumé
2. An email including:
• A critique of the site: what you like, what you don’t, and why. What should we do more of? What should we do less of? What new kinds of things would you like to see on Rookie?
• 2 essay or short story pitches, including an explanation of why they’d be a good fit for Rookie and our readers.
• 1 idea for a monthly editorial theme: Let us know what that month’s stories might include, and how you see the theme being expressed aesthetically.
• Links to your social media pages (Tumblr, Twitter, etc.) and to your blog, if you have one.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: September 25