Posted On: November 20, 2015
Media Organization: NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc.
LDF is the nation’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Since its founding under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall in 1940, LDF has been committed to transforming this nation’s promise of racial equity and justice into reality for all Americans.
LDF uses litigation, public-policy advocacy, organizing and public-education programs to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair criminal justice system.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks an experienced, dynamic and innovative Digital Communications Specialist to help drive and support the Communications department activities internally and externally.
LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute at LDF:
In 2015, LDF celebrates its 75th anniversary with the launch of the Thurgood Marshall Institute. The Thurgood Marshall Institute at LDF is a collaborative hub within LDF that combines a multidisciplinary approach to advocacy with LDF’s traditional litigation strengths to advance a modern vision of racial justice. The Institute’s goal is to advance racial equity, justice and a more inclusive democracy through research and public education, targeted policy reform, advocacy and communication campaigns.
Through the Thurgood Marshall Institute, LDF will have the ability to generate and integrate innovative research, organizing, advocacy, and communications aimed at educating the public and key decision makers. This added capacity will leverage LDF’s litigation expertise, advocacy experience and unique leadership role on matters of race, law, and policy to shape the narrative on racial justice and equity. Through targeted policy reform campaigns that attack entrenched problems of racial bias, the LDF Thurgood Marshall Institute will partner with local advocates to advance holistic strategies to achieve obtainable and lasting solutions on issues of criminal justice, political participation, education and economic opportunity.
LDF seeks an experienced, dynamic and innovative person to serve as a Digital Communications Specialist and be responsible for all LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute’s social and digital media across all cases, matters, campaigns, departments, and events.
The Digital Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director and to the Director of the Thurgood Marshall Institute.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to social and economic justice work, superior writing skills, and demonstrated experience with social media.
• Manage all social and digital media for LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute;
• Plan, manage and execute LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute’s social media strategy and events;
• Create, manage and grow LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute’s presence and content creatively across all social media channels on a day-to-day basis, including, but not limited to blogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube;
• Grow usage, adoption, interaction, education, engagement and discussion regarding LDF and Thurgood Marshall Institute’s work and accomplishments and on related matters;
• Participate in social media buzz campaigns within LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute’s network;
• Track, report and interpret data analytics on a quarterly basis and provide solid recommendations for new strategies and tactics;
• Monitor online publications and social media for coverage of issues affecting LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute;
• Develop and manage messaging to key stakeholders and distribute key messages through platforms such as Twitter and Facebook;
• Monitor developments in social tools, applications, channels, design and strategy and provide recommendations to increase effective engagement;
• Assist with media relations, including drafting press releases, columns, and op-eds; and
• Other communications duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• 4-year degree in either communications, political science, or pre-law or policy related field (required);
• Masters’ degree in communications, public policy or related field (preferred);
• 2 to 4 years of communications or related work experience, preferably with a non-profit organization or entity or writing experience in journalism;
• Social media management; analytics experience; and ability to effectively interpret and use analytics for effective engagement;
• Experience with social media and social media legal guidelines, knowledgeable about the latest platforms with a vision for how to maximize LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute’s social media presence;
• Knowledge and familiarity with a range of social and economic justice issues and comfort level promoting its ideals;
• Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks effectively;
• Ability to translate legal issues and concepts for public consumption;
• Familiarity with communications software;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups that help to drive the LDF and Thurgood Marshall Institute mission;
• Some experience with campaigns, e-mail communications, social networking, technology management, list building, content development, media relations, event planning;
• Familiarity with media databases such as Vocus, Cision, Meltwater, etc.;
• Intermediate level proficiency with HTML, CMS, e-mail best practices;
• Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office applications;
• Extremely detailed and organized;
• Ability to work quickly in a high pressure environment;
• Team player, innovative and quick learner; and
• Flexible schedule, including ability to work some evenings and weekends, if needed.
Please submit your resume and cover letter:
Email to: email@example.com
Monica Garcia, Director of Human Resources/Administration
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.