Posted On: February 18, 2016
Media Organization: NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality.
From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative -- to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks a Communications Writer to support the Communications department activities internally and externally. In addition to working closely with the Communications team on media relations, this person will also work closely with the Legal Department on message development, talking points, press statements, media advisories, briefing documents and other writings. The ideal candidate for this position will have an interest in social and racial justice and facility with social media and, most important, excellent writing skills.
• Edit press releases, media advisories, and press pitches;
• Draft speeches, talking points and message decks;
• Edit, conduct op-eds media placements to national and local publications;
• Write collateral materials, such as fact sheets, brochures and web content;
• Pitch content and spokespersons to media outlets;
• Understand how to frame complex legal issues to the public;
• Prep spokespersons as necessary;
• Assist attorneys with communications strategy and maintenance of case dockets;
• Assist the Director of Communications with comprehensive Board related reports.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• 4-year degree in either communications, political science, or pre-law or policy related field or English;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups that help to drive the LDF mission;
• Some facility with social media, knowledgeable about the latest platforms with a vision for how to maximize LDF’s social media presence;
• Knowledge and familiarity with a range of social and economic justice issues and comfort level promoting its ideals;
• Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office applications;
• Flexible schedule, including ability to work some evenings and weekends, if needed.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter:
Email to: email@example.com