Posted On: March 11, 2016
Media Organization: State
You will be joining a forward-thinking news organization that is committed to growing a robust digital news report for the Staten Island community. We are building a team of creative and collaborative 21st Century journalists.
The Staten Island Advance/SILive.com is seeking a web-savvy news reporter to generate engaging and dynamic digital content. This position’s primary focus is public safety and breaking news reporting. The right candidate is a highly independent, self-directed professional who appreciates diversity in his/her work and thrives on action—reporting live from a fire as the flames flare, being first at the scene of an accident.
Ability to work an evening shift is required.
For this job you must:
• Understand the standards and philosophy of real-time news
• Be comfortable working under pressure in deadline-driven breaking news situations
• Have a strong reporting and writing ability
• Be confident and competent when working independently
• Be assertive and creative when approaching news coverage
• Be an early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content
• Be results-oriented and understand how to use statistical data to inform editorial decisions
• Be a problem-solver who can negotiate NYC’s public safety and governmental agencies
• Care deeply about local news and online journalism, and the role of community engagement in both
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, with educational background in journalism, communications or a related field strongly preferred
• 1-3 years experience reporting, writing, producing and packaging digital content in a fast-paced, competitive environment
• Demonstrated ability with producing and editing multimedia
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
• Knowledge of Staten Island’s issues, key players and geography preferred
• Must have use of a reliable car
Email resume and cover letter to Gail Lubin (email@example.com)