Posted On: June 30, 2016
Media Organization: Local Initiatives Support Corporation
LISC is a national organization that equips struggling communities with the capital, strategy and know-how to become places where people with low and moderate incomes can thrive. The local New York City program, LISC NYC, works with nonprofit, community-based organizations to develop affordable housing, commercial enterprises and community facilities. Over the past three decades, LISC NYC has invested over $2.5 billion, leveraging an additional $5.7 billion in low-income communities. This has resulted in 37,000 affordable homes built and preserved as well as 1.7 million square feet of retail and community space created. We also invest in health, economic development, financial well-being and environmental sustainability so that the communities our partners serve are good places to live, work, do business and raise children. For more information visit http://programs.lisc.org/nyc/.
The New York City office of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a candidate for Communications Officer. This position reports to the LISC NYC Executive Director, and will work closely with the Deputy Director and Policy Director.
The LISC NYC Communications Officer will work closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Director and Policy Director to promote LISC NYC externally and shape LISC’s voice, messaging, content and visual presentation across all materials and media. We are looking for an experienced professional who writes and edits well, and can ensure consistency of LISC's brand while communicating to a range of audiences, including the general public, funders, press, policy organizations, think tanks and other thought leadership venues. The Communications Officer is charged with coordinating with staff and consultants to produce and disseminate publications and press releases, gain press coverage, and maintain and expand our web and social media presence to help LISC NYC carry out its mission. The position coordinates with communications functions in LISC's national office and with external communications consultants, as needed.
Specifically, the Communications Officer will:
- Prepare and regularly update a communications plan, in consultation with senior management, to support LISC NYC’s work.
- Effectively communicate LISC NYC’s mission of revitalizing neighborhoods and financing affordable housing, health, economic development and financial inclusion to a broad audience.
- Frame LISC’s unique point of view in the context of a dynamic multi-sector set of partners and competitors in an ever-evolving policy and program environment.
- Work with program staff to identify story ideas, gather photographs and oversee graphic designers to shape communications products.
- Conceptualize, write, and edit web content, articles, opinion pieces, blog posts, short policy briefs, white papers, e-newsletters, emails, and marketing and promotional materials.
- Manage the work of communications consultants, as needed.
- Refresh LISC NYC’s website and manage all web, digital and social media content.
- Manage media relations for LISC NYC, including creating press materials and handling media outreach in order to increase LISC NYC’s press coverage.
- Coordinate with grant writers to ensure consistency of voice and messaging across all external content.
- Maintain and enhance communications within the LISC NYC staff team.
- Help prepare LISC NYC Executive Director and other staff for speaking opportunities, panels, etc.
- Represent LISC NYC at conferences, industry events and press conferences, and support the LISC NYC Executive Director to do so.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master's degree in journalism, communications or related field preferred
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Self-starter with at least 5 years of experience in marketing, public relations, and/or web communications, preferably in nonprofit settings; familiarity with affordable housing, community development, and/or related nonprofit work preferred
- Experience working with the media
- Proficiency in social media platforms
- Excellent technical skills including competency in full Microsoft Office suite, InDesign/Photoshop or other photo editing software, and ability to quickly learn new applications
- Capacity to simultaneously work on multiple tasks and projects, and set priorities for a challenging workload
- A strong team player with great organization, initiative, attention to detail and timely follow-through as well as high standards for accuracy and efficiency
Please send cover letter, resume and three writing/communications samples via e-mail to:
501 Seventh Avenue, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10018