Posted On: March 8, 2018
Media Organization: Consumer Reports
Independent, non-profit social enterprise and publisher
This role partners with Deputy Director of Content Development to set and execute overall editorial strategy. Works directly with Deputy Director of Content Development and leaders from five Content Development departments to edit and publish regular output of well-reported, high-quality, consumer-focused articles for multiple platforms, though the focus will be on digital content. Will also work with the Director of Content Development and the Content Development Team Leaders on larger, cross-platform print and digital content packages. Must be able to juggle day-to-day content production with long-term projects that require organization across large teams.
- Partners with Deputy Director, Content and Director of Content Development to set overall editorial strategy.
- Work directly with five Content Development Team Leaders to develop daily digital content for ConsumerReports.org and related properties, including top-editing stories. Coordinates efforts between content development and digital editorial teams as needed to ensure these two critical groups are working seamlessly to produce high quality, strategic digital content.
- May manage direct reports who edit or support story creation.
- Top-edit cross-platform enterprise stories that will appear in both the magazine and online, ensuring highest journalistic standards in all mediums.
- Works with Content Managing Editor to steer content planning, particularly around digital platforms.
- Monitors and helps to ensure weekly digital output goals are met by content development departments to further revenue goals, without sacrificing quality.
- Collaborates with digital editorial and analytics teams to ensure content meets traffic, engagement, and other critical KPI goals
- Work closely with partners in Engagement, Policy, Testing, Survey, Video, Business Development and other key stakeholders as needed to support content creation.
- Support Deputy Director of Content in managing staff, as needed.
Must have college degree, plus minimum 8-10 years' experience editing at a major national media brand. Experience with digital required, multi-platform experience that includes print and video highly preferred. Must have demonstrated success in a fast-paced multi-platform content environment; be both fast and have with high editorial standards.
Strong interpersonal and organizational skills a must. Candidate should also be able to package content for both print and digital platforms. Experience partnering with UI/UX, data visualization, digital product management, business development / strategic content partnerships, is beneficial. Will also work closely with Cross-Platform Managing Editor to help manage aggressive deadlines across both print and digital products so must have strong understanding of journalistic strategy and principles in both disciplines.
- Builds trust, instills trust and integrity, takes ownership when things go wrong and does not pass blame
- Focuses self and others on action and results
- Promotes collaboration and accountability by seeking leveraging connections and interdependencies and breaking down silos
- Actively addresses issues and challenges by encouraging candid discussion, building common understanding and gaining agreement
- Removes barriers, but recognizes when to halt an initiative
- Communicates clearly and confidently on a consistent basis
- Sets up staff and teams for success, establishes the right priorities and actionable goals, focuses on mission critical activities.