Posted On: May 7, 2018
Media Organization: Syria Direct
Syria Direct is a non-profit journalism organization that produces timely, credible coverage of Syria while training highly talented, aspiring Syrian and American journalists in professional news-gathering and accurate, in-depth reporting.
Founded in 2013, Syria Direct publishes original news reports, interviews with newsmakers and newsworthy photographs and videos from Syria along with newsletters.
Our reporters cover key military developments and track the country’s shifting politics, province by province, to explain news as it unfolds, placing a particular focus on the individuals driving events on the ground.
Throughout the editorial process, we emphasize the tenets of professional journalism, from identifying sources and checking facts to providing balanced, well-rounded reporting on contentious issues.
Our commitment is to use the highest journalistic standards for Syrians to report on their own country, to influence the wider news agenda and inculcate principles of independent, critical thinking with integrity in our reporters.
As a result of agenda-free funding, our focus is on providing credible, original, relevant and immediate news and analysis of Syria.
Syria Direct is seeking an experienced Editor to lead our team of Syrian and international reporters based in Amman, Jordan in our mission to produce non-biased, investigative news coverage of the conflict in Syria.
The Editor-in-Chief will lead Syria Direct’s Arabic and English newsroom. Responsibilities of the position entail managing bilingual editorial meetings, developing story ideas with a veteran team of Syrian and international reporters and fully editing all English-language news items prior to publication. The Editor-in-Chief will also work directly with Syria Direct’s Managing Director to chart the organization’s strategic direction.
Requirements for the position include:
• Exemplary Editing Skills – We operate in a fast-paced newsroom, and most stories are one-day turnarounds. The Editor-in-Chief must not only have extensive editorial experience but also exceptional English writing and communication skills.
• Professional Proficiency in Arabic – The Editor-in-Chief must be able to work completely in spoken Levantine Arabic with our Syrian staff, most of whom do not speak English. Additionally,
the Editor-in-Chief must be able to conduct research in Arabic and translate quickly and accurately from Arabic to English.
• Familiarity with the Syrian Civil War – While candidates are not expected to have a granular understanding of the war, we do expect the Editor-in-Chief to start with a well-informed sense of the history and dynamics of the conflict (e.g. timeline, critical events and major actors, etcetera).
• Leadership Experience –The Editor-in-Chief must have previous leadership experience and the ability to manage a diverse, midsize and fast-paced newsroom. Furthermore, dynamics in Syria are rapidly changing, and candidates for this position must be able to put forward a clear and comprehensive organizational strategy for the future of reporting on the conflict.
Successful candidates will:
• Have the flexibility to work across cultures in a bilingual office;
• Be able to manage teams as well as set and meet time-sensitive deadlines;
• Possess excellent strategic thinking skills and be able to chart an editorial direction for the organization;
• Be proactive, creative and enjoy working in a fast-paced and tight-knit office.
The Editor-in-Chief will work with and report directly to the Managing Director. Syria Direct offers a competitive salary and an opportunity to join a successful and growing media startup.
Applications are due on May 19th, and the expected start date is June 24th. Candidates either must be residing in Amman or willing to relocate prior to the expected start date.
To apply, please send an email including your resume, a cover letter and two writing samples with the subject “Editor-in-Chief” to Syria Direct’s Managing Director Justin Schuster at: firstname.lastname@example.org