Posted On: June 6, 2018
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: The Forward
The Forward delivers incisive coverage of the issues, ideas and institutions that matter to American Jews. Its rigorous reporting and balanced commentary on politics, arts and culture have won numerous awards year after year, including repeated recognition by the Society of Professional Journalists.
Founded in 1897 as a Yiddish-language daily, the Forward soon became the most widely read Jewish newspaper anywhere, with a larger circulation in the 1920s than the New York Times. It chronicled the events that affected a population of immigrants eager to take their place in American life, and published regional editions around the country before any other newspaper.
The English Forward was launched as a weekly in 1990. Its perspective on world and national news, and its unparalleled coverage of Jewish arts and culture, have made it the most influential nationwide Jewish media outlet today. Millions of readers visit forward.com each month for award-winning news, thoughtful commentary, and captivating videos. And close to 100,000 Facebook friends and subscribers receive e-newsletters that highlight the latest stories in news and culture, food and feminism, as well as the best in Jewish opinion.
The Forward has always been a not-for-profit association and is supported by the contributions of its readers.
The Forward seeks an aspiring journalist to join its culture desk for a paid internship. The culture intern will work 25 hours a week at $13 an hour and must commit to a 10-week program at a minimum. The internship may be renewable, subject to management approval.
• Pitch, write and report stories on Jewish cultural events and trends for the Forward’s blogs, website, and print edition.
• Work with the Forward’s content management system to post blogs and stories to the internet.
• Assist the culture editor with photo research, fact-checking, and administration.
• Help with proofing of the monthly print magazine.
• Have the opportunity to contribute to the Forward’s news and opinion desks.
• A minimum of one year of journalism and writing experience.
• Interest in film, theater, music, art, and literature, particularly of the Jewish variety.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Team player who works well both collaboratively and autonomously.
• Organizational and time-management skills.
Please send three clips along with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line Culture Internship.