Posted On: July 16, 2018
Media Organization: NYC Department of Corrections
The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) provides for the care, custody, and control of persons accused of crimes or convicted and sentenced to one year or less of jail time. The Department manages 12 inmate facilities, 9 of which are located on Rikers Island. In addition, the Department operates two hospital Prison Wards (Bellevue and Elmhurst hospitals) and court holding facilities in each borough.
The DOC seeks to recruit a Communications Specialist for the Public Information Unit. The selected candidate will work closely with senior executives, the internal communications specialist will help establish organizational messages and keep staff informed of developments. The Communications Specialist's responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Develop formal and informal communications, using a variety of channels and tools.
• Work with stakeholders to assess communication needs, determine timing and delivery, andtailor messages for specific audiences.
• Help prepare newsletters, proposals, presentations, training, and other communication materials.
• Be able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects at once.
• Help establish an internal short-term and long-term communications strategy in conjunction with senior managers.
• Ensure communication strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision.
• Ensure department initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders.
• Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums, such as a staff intranet, monthly magazine or regular email bulletin. You may also be require to work on the layout of content.
• Draft messages or talking points for senior executives.
1. Six months of full-time satisfactory experience operating two-way radio equipment involving the extensive receiving, logging and sending or radio transmissions in English (Citizen Band radio experience is not acceptable); or
2. Six months of full-time satisfactory experience as a telephone dispatcher involving the extensive receiving, logging and sending of messages in English (telephone operator experience is not acceptable).
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least two years of experience in Assignment Level I.
• Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus three (3) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, or a combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations may be substituted for up to one year of required experience
• 3 -5 years’ experience in external/internal writing business communications
• Ability to problem solve and appropriately customize messages in a professional writing manner
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills as well as the journalistic ability to source stories from employees.
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills in order to work with communications.
• Creative ability to devise communication strategies digital skills: familiarity with information technology, especially digital and video means of communication, is essential.
• Two (2) years of administrative, supervisory, or consultative experience in public relations, journalism or advertising.
Candidates for interview will be required to provide a writing sample.
Go to http://www.nyc.gov/careers and search for the JOB ID
Or, click on https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/index_new.html?agency=072 to see all current openings as JOB ID #s can change