Posted On: August 15, 2018
Media Organization: Flip
Everything about the way people rent housing today is out of touch with the way people live today. Our founders came together because we experienced this for ourselves and formed a simple and ambitious vision: what if getting on or off of a lease was as easy as pressing a button? That's what we're building, starting with sublets and room rentals.
We’re a small and growing team of committed and creative people with who deeply love building extraordinary products and brands. We rent our housing, and we use our own product. For the most part we work out of our HQ in Brooklyn, New York, but we're also open to remote employees if it's the right fit.
Flip is backed by Union Square Ventures, Collaborative Fund, and some of the most forward-thinking real estate developers and operators in the country. Our investors were the first backers of Twitter, Tumblr, Etsy, Coinbase, Kickstarter, and Foursquare among others.
Flip is looking for a full time writer to help us build a body of useful resources for renters. If you have experience writing about dense topics for a general audience, consider yourself to be data driven and an extremely thorough researcher then this role is right for you. You'll write:
- Short, useful blog posts (https://flip.lease/blog)
- Insanely in-depth explainers (like the best Wikipedia section you'e ever read) for our knowledge base (https://flip.lease/learn)
- Guided tutorials that make it easy for readers to accomplish a certain task
We invest a major part of our engineering and product design team's efforts on the above parts of our product, so your work will get a lot of attention both from existing users and new ones who find us through Google. If you want to know who/what we're looking to for inspiration, check out some of Stripe's content (i.e.: https://stripe.com/atlas/guides). Like these pages, we're making content that's meant to: a) look amazing b) turn very dense subject matters into actionable resources for regular people and b) integrate fully with our product (which is pretty useful, according to us!).
You'll be in charge of everything that gets researched and written within the company, so you'll be the main driver behind all of these efforts.
** Responsibilities **
On a daily basis...
- Come up with ideas on your own by putting yourself in the shoes of a renter and paying very, very close attention to what's already being surfaced on Google, how, and what should be
- Research by digging into primary sources (state laws, previous court cases) and connecting with sources like landlord-tenant attorneys in each state to write the most useful content possible
- Polish and publish your work and track it obsessively to see how quickly it's getting noticed by Google, figure out what kind of writing is doing better and why, and recreate whatever is working
** Qualifications **
You should be able to write clearly and quickly and have experience doing extremely thorough research into any kind of technical subject matter for a non technical audience.
You'll get bonus points if you have experience working closely with engineers and/or on a growth team at a technical company. This is by no means a prerequisite, but keep in mind that this is not your average writing job. You'll be a core part of our growth team and a lot will be expected from you.
** Working at Flip **
Please send a short note with your resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
(You absolutely do not have to already covered real estate/housing/cities, you just need to be interested in learning a lot about these topics.)