Posted On: October 24, 2018
Media Organization: JSTOR Daily
ITHAKA is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA
WEB PRODUCER – JSTOR DAILY
New York, NY
The Web producer will work with the editors of JSTOR Daily (daily.jstor.org)—a news and culture website published by JSTOR—to keep production schedules on track and publish well-edited, SEO-optimized content on a fast-paced schedule.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Publishing production process (30%)
• Traffics content through manuscript, fact-check, copyedit & publish
• Prepares posts for publication using WordPress
• Adds SEO metadata, checking for keyword frequency on Google webmaster tools
• Tags all content in WordPress and maintains tag schema for full site
• Proofreads content entered into WordPress by other editors
• Chooses pull quotes & adds other visual page elements to package the content for the web
• Helps research JSTOR sources for some posts & adds JSTOR Citation information to others
• Provisions JSTOR sources so they're freely available to JSTOR Daily readers
• Builds author bio pages
Image research and production (25%)
• Researches, acquires & produces visual content for the site
• Makes sure we’re in compliance with copyright laws for images
• Sizes, otherwise edits, and uploads images to WordPress
• Builds slide shows and other visual content
• Tracks image metadata, credits, rights, etc.
• Processes permissions and invoices for images purchased by JSTOR Daily
• Submits receipts for image invoices to marketing manager for expense report
Writing & editing (10%)
• Writes and builds two weekly newsletters
• Writes occasional posts for site; edits Reading Lists for the site
Administrative & user support: (25%)
• Generates contracts for writers, submits invoices
• Liaison between writers and Accounts Payable & Legal
• Monitors & responds to reader queries and comments
• Reports maintenance, site bugs & performance issues
• Requests writer access to JSTOR & WordPress
Content promotion & social media (5%)
• Helps editors with social media as needed
• Publicizes stories by pitching stories to news outlets
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
• Minimum 2-3 years of web production experience for an online publication or blog. Experience in a startup environment or on a new publication a plus.
• Familiarity with blogging software (WordPress), social media tools (Hootsuite or SproutSocial), project management tools (Basecamp, JIRA), image research, production & editing skills (Photoshop).
• Detail-oriented, able to multi-task, comfortable in a support role.
• Strong written and oral skills; photo research & production skills. Strong planning and project management skills; ability to meet deadlines; goal-driven.
• An interest in academic research and scholarly publishing and a genuine passion for creating smart content that supports scholarship and education.
• Bachelor’s degree.
Please apply here: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/ITH1000ITHAK/JobBoard/5fe90ad4-9e26-490b-9c45-6c9669d4dcd0/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=5105c7b3-940e-4a1c-8944-ef65af2e521f
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.